KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   OT poll would love if everyone answered (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77803)

ecb 03-26-2008 02:33 PM

OT poll would love if everyone answered

I was talking to a friend of mine about knitting, and she told me she is not the kind of person who would knit, she fills her time with going out to the bar, and she ended her argument with "heck, I even smoke Cigarettes". Made me wonder how many of us are her idea of a "knitting type"

Abbily 03-26-2008 02:37 PM

Funny you should post this today- it's basically the topic of the yarn harlot's blog today. :)

cindycactus 03-26-2008 02:46 PM

Grew up with lots of smokers but never smoked myself.:knitting:

saracidaltendencies 03-26-2008 02:46 PM

LOL!

I do smoke, have for 18 years...I also occasionally get together with friends (or a friend) and go to a bar...Hmm, maybe next time I should take my knitting and see what kind of looks I get...haha

It amuses me, the general stereotype of knitters.

laptop_knitter 03-26-2008 03:01 PM

I guess it's different varities of displacment activities - different people keep their bodies in motion in different ways.

ladyjessica 03-26-2008 03:12 PM

I don't smoke, never have, never would. A good many people in my family smoke or have smoked, and growing up and seeing the toll it takes and what it does to you, I just never had the desire. Also, I'm a singer and I didn't want to screw up my voice. That said, I have a friend who smokes, and drinks, and goes to bars. And takes her knitting. It's so funny to see her sitting on a bar stool with a beer knitting a scarf, and the looks she gets. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin 03-26-2008 03:43 PM

I'm a smoker, have been for a long time. I quit cold turkey in January of 05, and started back up again in April of 06.
I was a voice major in college, and worked as a music teacher for 7 years; it never had an adverse affect on my voice, and I can still hold that high C for 28 seconds!
I'll quit (again) when I'm ready.... it *is* on my 101 list!

vaknitter 03-26-2008 04:15 PM

Nope, not a smoker. Not sure I fit the stereotype of a knitter though. I love sports, I've been known to hang out in a bar to play pool or watch "the game." Many of my friends are shocked to see me pull out a knitting project every so often.

iza 03-26-2008 04:29 PM

I smoked 4-5 cigarettes in my entire life, so I can't really call myself a smoker. :teehee: Do I fit the knitter stereotype? I'm not really sure what it means... I think we are representative of society, don't you think? :shrug:

Still, it's funny to have such stereotypes about knitters! A knitter wouldn't break any contract by going to a bar or have a cigarette once in a while... :teehee:

DianaM 03-26-2008 04:36 PM

Used to. I'll never be completely rid of it, but I have quit cold turkey for at least a few years in order to increase my chances of getting pregnant and having a successfull pregnancy.