KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ARTLADY'S Central Park Hoodie KAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77877)

ArtLady1981 03-27-2008 11:15 PM

ARTLADY'S Central Park Hoodie KAL

Hello! :waving:

I knit the Central Park Hoodie for my DD in October 2007.
Click HEREto view the details of that FO.

I loved hers so much that I'm making a CPH for myself as well! I've just been waiting to find a yarn to inspire me! I finally found my yarn! I'm using the new Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed in color 09, a medium denim blue.

Anyway, would you like to join me in a CPH-KAL?
Since I have been down that road once already, I might be able
to guide you through a pleasant knit and a successful outcome!

The pattern was originally featured in the Fall 2006 Knitscene. The pattern was available in sizing from 32"-48". The new PDF download has sizes 32"-60".
Wow! A size for every body!

There is also a corrections page. One small minor correction. CORRECTIONS PAGE

Here is the Central Park Hoodie model sweater which used Tahki Donegal Tweed.
I used this same yarn in the same green as the model for my DD's CPH.

I swatched my CPH and cast on yesterday...and here is a photo
of my BACK...at 14.5"...ready for the armhole decreasing.

So dear knitter, if you would like to join this KAL...you are most welcome!
In post #2 BELOW, I will list a few tips for getting started.

If anyone joins this KAL, I have additional tips & photos ready to go.

Don't fret that I've progressed this far into the sweater.
You want your mentor to be ahead of the game, don't you? :teehee:

Added on May 15th:
Here is a photo of my completed CPH

More photos on page 18. I knit the size 44...but
(on purpose) knit a slightly larger gauge... to render a size 46.

ArtLady1981 03-27-2008 11:34 PM

TIPS FOR GETTING STARTED

1) find the appropriate (gauge) yarn
2) knit a 4"x4" swatch
3) use stitch markers
4) use row markers
5) prepare to knit the pattern as set forth in the design directions

Comments on 1) through 5):
1) www.yarn.com carries the Tahki Donegal Tweed and the Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed that I used for both CPH's. Something you might like to know is that WEBS gives a 20% discount on purchases of $60...and 25% discounts on yarn orders reaching $120!
2) knitting a gauge swatch is one of the most important steps for a successful fit
3) stitch markers for cables within the row help a lot!
4) 10-row-repeat row markers help me keep track, with no mistakes... the cable twist is executed on row 3 of each 10-row repeat
5) if we set out to change the construction design of a sweater, we can create more headaches than we believe we are going to avoid! (more to follow on that issue!)

ArtLady1981 03-27-2008 11:37 PM

STITCH MARKERS AND ROW MARKERS

MY 6 STITCH MARKERS across the row:

My fancy ROW MARKERS! Yes, little red threads, easy to install, easy to see,
and easy to remove before washing and blocking!

lactosefree 03-28-2008 12:44 AM

I have the Cascade 220 superwash and have been told that the yarn really changes after washing/drying. My first step is to swatch a 4x4 piece and then throw it in the wash and dry to get my gauge.

I live in an apartment and don't have a washer and drier on premises so I drop off my laundry and pick it up from wash & fold. I will swatch tonight and then will plan on finding a friend who is willing to wash and dry it for me.

lactosefree 03-28-2008 02:09 AM

I swatched the Cascade 220 Superwash on size 8 needles and got 18 sts at just a smidgen short of 4" and 25 rows to 4". I blocked the swatch and it did indeed 'grow' a bit.

After careful pinning I was able to get 17 sts and 24 rows to 4" as the gauge calls for. If I really wanted to, I could have stretched it a tiny bit bigger - hopefully this won't impact the final product. I'm hoping that if the finished seamed sweater does grow a bit more that I'd like, a quick tumble in the dry will bring it back a bit.

I think I'm going to go ahead and cast on my first piece. If anyone thinks I should go back and re-swatch/use different needles based on what I wrote above please let me know ASAP. I would love any all feedback as this will be my first sweater.

Thanks!

Oh yea - I was too impatient to find a friend to wash and dry it for me so I just blocked it. I'm hoping that it won't make a huge difference..... fingers crossed!

GiddyKnitter 03-28-2008 08:43 AM

Hi Artlady
I would love to join you in the CPH KAL.
I am going to finish my Tempting II first...I have 31/2" done on the yolk
so I shouldn't be much longer. Yours is looking great I really like the colour.

ArtLady1981 03-28-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lactosefree (Post 1087193)
I swatched the Cascade 220 Superwash on size 8 needles and got 18 sts at just a smidgen short of 4" and 25 rows to 4". I blocked the swatch and it did indeed 'grow' a bit.

After careful pinning I was able to get 17 sts and 24 rows to 4" as the gauge calls for. If I really wanted to, I could have stretched it a tiny bit bigger - hopefully this won't impact the final product. I'm hoping that if the finished seamed sweater does grow a bit more that I'd like, a quick tumble in the dry will bring it back a bit.

I think I'm going to go ahead and cast on my first piece. If anyone thinks I should go back and re-swatch/use different needlesbased on what I wrote above please let me know ASAP. I would love any all feedback as this will be my first sweater.

Thanks!

Oh yea - I was too impatient to find a friend to wash and dry it for me so I just blocked it. I'm hoping that it won't make a huge difference..... fingers crossed!

Hi Susan! :waving:

I am so happy to hear that you are such a diligent swatcher! :cheering:

In other CPH knitalongs, I have read that the Central Park Hoodie sizing runs smallish. So, if you are knitting your size...and if your CPH grows a bit...it will be all good. A lot of knitters say they wished they had known. They would have made a size larger. I am knitting the 44"...because the 48" is way too big. I got PERFECT GAUGE with a US8...so I upped it to a US9...giving me a stitch gauge of 17 st = 4 1/8" instead of 4" exactly. This itsy bit of extra width will give me more 'ease' for the 44" chest size. It didn't affect my row gauge!

I'm going to install a zipper and I don't want my CPH to be a body-hugger when zipped up! :eyes: Aaargh. I want my CPH to resemble a hooded jacket, not a zip-up sweater. Jackets should have room to spare when zipped up.

I took a photo of my BACK, unblocked. It looks fine...but wait til you see how the appearance improves after blocking! I will post comparison photos later! For blocking this CPH, I'll handwash & rinse each piece in lukewarm water using UNICORN FIBER WASH & RINSE, pat out the excess water between bath towels, and then lay out the damp pieces on the blocking board til bone dry. Donegal tweeds are kinda scratchy...even this luxury tweed...and donegal tweeds are kinda chemically smelling from the dye, I think...so washing/rinsing/blocking will soften and freshen the yarn!
The UNICORN FIBER RINSE has the slightest hint of lavendar, and it is lovely! CLICK HEREto visit their website. I bought the 16 oz bottles...and it goes a long long way! The people are quick shippers!

The middle 38 st are reserved on an OPTIONS cable.
These 38 live stitches will be the connectors to the HOOD, later on.

ArtLady1981 03-28-2008 04:45 PM

WELCOME PAULINE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauline maddocks (Post 1087266)
Hi Artlady
I would love to join you in the CPH KAL.
I am going to finish my Tempting II first...I have 31/2" done on the yolk
so I shouldn't be much longer. Yours is looking great I really like the colour.

Loverly! Loverly! Happy to have you on board, Pauline! :cheering:

I am lovin' this Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed! I'm so happy with the appearance! It's everything I envisioned! The yarn (purchased at www.yarn.com) was $6.71 per sk after that 25% discount!

lactosefree 03-28-2008 05:54 PM

Artlady - Thanks for all the great advice!

Ok so the way I determined which size to make was sort of a cheater's way. I took my favorite hoodie and zipped it up and put it on the floor and measured the circumference and got about 48. Do you think I should measure my actual body instead?

ArtLady1981 03-28-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lactosefree (Post 1087548)
Artlady - Thanks for all the great advice!

Ok so the way I determined which size to make was sort of a cheater's way. I took my favorite hoodie and zipped it up and put it on the floor and measured the circumference and got about 48. Do you think I should measure my actual body instead?

No. If your favorite hoodie has a chest measurement of 48"...then you want your CPH chest measurement to be the 48" at least. I think the measurements that our pattern gives is for FINISHED MEASUREMENTS. I'll go double check myself...but I think that's right.

No, your way IS NOT a cheater's way! It is the smart way! :thumbsup:
It is the way that most designers advise!