KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ladies....Help Please! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78049)

flyingfingers 03-31-2008 08:51 AM

Ladies....Help Please!

I am 44 years old, and either going through Pre-Menopause or it may be just sever PMS, I don't know.
But....for 3 weeks of every month, I am totally not myself. I go into fits of rage, anxiety, depression and feel like the whole world is crashing down on me. My relationships suffer because I become a monster, and I can't take it any longer. This has been going on for years, and I am at my wits end.
I just want to be ME again, bubbly, happy, content and a great person to be around. I am only me for one week every month.
What can I do? Any information will be greatly appreciated. I am making an appointment with my doc this week to start.

mwhite 03-31-2008 09:25 AM

The doctor's appointment is the best idea. Talk to her/him in detail! And get some answers, if you're not satisfied or they don't seem to help, get another opinion. Mine was very uneventful except for hot flashes. Course, I did notice alot of rolled eye looks and shaking of heads whenever I'd raise my voice. LOL! I did take "Estroven" to help control the flashes....Black cohosh was the main ingredient that helped, I'm told. Whatever... "Estroven" is available over the counter. Mary

dustinac 03-31-2008 09:51 AM

I suffer from PMDD which sounds like you may too...I was only nice 1wk out of the month too and battled my emotions like crazy...talk to your dr and see what they can do...I'm on Yaz right now and it helps quite a bit...:thumbsup:

bailsmom 03-31-2008 10:35 AM

My goodness. :pout: I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Hormones suck! :hug: I am not a doctor but getting in to see yours is a great start. I wish you all the best and I hope you feel better very soon.

ecb 03-31-2008 09:25 PM

find this book

"determining your menopause type"
It is a great book, it helped me understand what I was missing in my hormone vacant life
I am on Progesterone 10-12 days a month, and I M sleeping much better, my skin is better, but my moodyness is still out of whack.

ecb

yarnrainbow 03-31-2008 10:56 PM

Going to the Doctor is a really great idea. To assist the doctor in determining what the cause is, I'd suggest the following:

- start tracking you period start and end dates. This will help the doctor determine where in your cycle your issues are occuring.
- start tracking your food intake daily. We don't always realize how foods affect how body. You may be surprised to find that certain foods are causing a hormonal imbalance or that the hormonal imbalance is causing you to crave certain foods.

Your doctor is probably going to want to take blood samples at different points during your cycle to compare the hormone levels.

I'm sure the doctor will find the problem and will be able to help you find your way back to the person you want to be again. :hug:

Plantgoddess+ 03-31-2008 10:56 PM

I also suffered in my early 40's. I went on low estrogen birth control for several years until I lost my health insurance. The symptoms went away for about 5 years and then came back with a vengeance. Hot flashes and weepiness and the worst was lack of sleep. Once I had finished cycling for 6 months I was prescribed progesterone and it is working wonders.
Work with your doctor to see what works for you, everyone is different.

Inis 04-01-2008 10:15 AM

It could be pre-menopause or even menopause -- even at 44. Many women who have had children early in life (like in your teens) have early menopause as well.

I agree with keeping track of your cycle. Is it regular and on time? Also write down what you're eating. Diet can have a big impact on our moods.

I also agree about being very detailed with your doctor. If s/he isn't responsive, find a new doctor!

lelvsdgs 04-01-2008 12:53 PM

Boy can I realte! I'll be 48 this October and I've been dealing with this stuff for about 10 years. Going on low estrogen birth control helped for years up unitl about 3 years ago. Then the symptoms got worse and my periods have become unbearable. They finally listened and did an ultrasound and I've got fibroids as well. I was put on the Mirena IUD and it has been helping although I had a bad one this month.

Do be proactive with your doctor. And do read as much as you can. All the other suggestions here are really good as well. Most of all hang in there and remember, this too shall pass...
:muah:

flyingfingers 04-02-2008 10:35 AM

Thank you all so much for your insight. It really is nice to know I am not alone in this, and even more nice to know that I am not going crazy.
I saw my doctor on Monday evening, and she put me on Effexor, mostly to control the moods and anxiety. This has been going on far too long, and for the most part, I thought it was the rest of the world that had the problem, not me! lol.
I feel better already, just knowing that I can get some relief from this misery. I was at a point that I was literally dreading the week before, during and after my period. Even though my period always came earlier than expected, I knew that I was going to be in misery. Only one week per month was a good one, and I was kind to all people.
Last week was the worst I ever experienced, and that was when I knew that I was the problem, and not everyone else. I was in fits of rage, anxious, depressed, and felt my whole insides were on fire and was going to explode.
I am 'normally' a very easy going, smiley, happy person and I get along with everyone. No enemies as yet lol. But, had I kept this going on like it was, I think that I would have either been put in jail or a nuthouse.
Thank you once again for all your help. Just your responses and understanding mean a lot to me and is very much appreciated.
Love B xx