KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   To sell or not to sell my wedding dress? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78663)

vaknitter 04-14-2008 08:25 PM

To sell or not to sell my wedding dress?

I have been married almost 2 yrs and I think I would like to sell my wedding dress. I was going to sell it last year and a girl asked me to hold it for her and then she backed out at the last minute. I have another girl now who would like to come try it on and to me it sounds "right" b/c she is getting on a budget (as I did) and in the same month I did...anyway, now my husband is thinking I should keep the dress.
My mother kept her wedding dress and shoes and both had yellowed by the time I was in high school. Even still, I am taller and have broader shoulders than my mother so I could not have worn it.
SO...do I sell it and never look back? Or do I spend $$ drdy cleaning it and pile it into a closet and move it with me for the next 30 yrs and hope I have a daughter who is my size and wants to wear my wedding dress?

Cynamar 04-14-2008 08:30 PM

If you decide to keep I would invest in the preservation thing they can do.

katknit 04-14-2008 08:56 PM

I preserved my wedding dress and veil, thinking my daughter might use them. But no. For 30 years it's been in a big gold box in a closet. So I probably wouldn't do it again.
Come to think of it, I should sell mine!
:lol:

iza 04-14-2008 09:19 PM

My mom used the fabric from her wedding dress to make a cradle blanket. I always thought it was a great idea! She got to keep a part of her dress AND she made it into something useful. :thumbsup:

Doublereeder2 04-14-2008 09:31 PM

Or you can donate it to H.A.I.N. and give some comfort to those in need.

Silver 04-14-2008 10:07 PM

I think wearing your mother's wedding dress is an old tradition and as the years go by, fewer and fewer women want to, or even can wear their mom's wedding dress. Just sell it. No big deal.

My mom's wedding dress was adorable, but a size 2, which I haven't been since I was in the 6th grade. :teehee:

callmesusan 04-15-2008 01:30 AM

When I was a little girl, my mother gave her wedding dress to me and my four sisters to dress up in. We played with that dress for years, and I can still remember the smell of the fabric (I'm 51!). When my daughter was three or so, I gave my dress and veil to her. She dressed up in that thing until it was a stained up, torn, pinned, tied together rag! She is 26 and still talks about the fun she had in that dress. She is now married and is saving her dress for her daughter's toy box. When she tells young women of her plan, they gasp! She just cannot understand their reaction. :teehee:

DQ 04-15-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callmesusan (Post 1095492)
When I was a little girl, my mother gave her wedding dress to me and my four sisters to dress up in. We played with that dress for years, and I can still remember the smell of the fabric (I'm 51!). When my daughter was three or so, I gave my dress and veil to her. She dressed up in that thing until it was a stained up, torn, pinned, tied together rag! She is 26 and still talks about the fun she had in that dress. She is now married and is saving her dress for her daughter's toy box. When she tells young women of her plan, they gasp! She just cannot understand their reaction. :teehee:

Aww! My mum let me wear her wedding dress for a princess party when I was little :mrgreen:

Silver 04-15-2008 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callmesusan (Post 1095492)
When I was a little girl, my mother gave her wedding dress to me and my four sisters to dress up in....

That is a really cute tradition!! I LOVE it!! :inlove: :cheering:

cindycactus 04-15-2008 08:39 AM

My daughter saved her wedding dress but neither of her daughters could fit into it. Recently she asked me to cut it up and make 5 prairie dolls and make the dresses for them out of the lace and satin. She wanted two for her daughters and two for her granddaughters as keepsakes. She thought she would keep the fifth one just in case there is another granddaughter in the future. I felt honored that I could do this for all of them.