KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   learning continental is killing me! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78760)

rox_on2 04-17-2008 09:41 AM

learning continental is killing me!

I'm an english knitter trying to learn contenintal. This is harder than anything I have done in a long time! I feel like I am the most uncoordinated person in the world!!!!!!! Aggggh!

What method did you learn and what method do you use?
Any tips for me would be greatly appreciated.

redheadrachel 04-17-2008 09:45 AM

Just keep doing it. It's awkward because you haven't practiced... lol sorry I don't have a more profound tip, but it's true

dustinac 04-17-2008 09:47 AM

I started out knitting English but after some time passed, I still felt very frustrated and not comfy...so I watched Amy's videos on Continental...it does come in handy to know both when I'm doing colorwork and English no longer feels weird to me...I would just keep practicing :thumbsup:

Also, for the continental purl I would suggest looking at Amy's Norwegian Purling video...:thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy 04-17-2008 09:48 AM

I also find it awkward, but do use the technique when doing stranding. It does feel a bit more natural the more you do it, but I do still mainly knit English.

suzeeq 04-17-2008 10:20 AM

You don't have to learn continental if you're doing okay english style. One isn't better than another, just different, and you should use whatever's more comfortable for you.

redheadrachel 04-17-2008 11:25 AM

Still, I would give it a fair chance before deciding you definitely like one better than the other. I tried knitting Continental for like, just a couple rounds of something and was like Nope, don't like it, it's slow. But I was just not used to it. I forced myself to make a pair of socks in conti just so I would really give it a fair shot, and I ended up loving it way more.
Anything is going to feel awkward when you're doing it for the first time. I'd say the same thing to people who knit English. :happydance:Might as well give it a shot, you might like it. If not, then just use English.

Momto G B and H 04-17-2008 11:34 AM

I have tried several times to knit "Continental" (well, I do carry my yarn in my right hand but I throw it and I wanted to learn to pick it). Then one day I just decided that there is NOTHING wrong with the way I knit, I knit really fast even if it looks weird and it works for me. So I'm not going to change.
But I did give it a fair shake, and I watched lots of different people and tried all their ways before I gave up.

Newbie2Knitting 04-17-2008 12:11 PM

I learned English first but wanted to try Continental b/c ribbing took me so flipping long to do and Conti just looked faster all around. I watched Amy's videos and just couldn't pick it up for the life of me - I'm far too uncoordinated.:pout: Someone on KH linked to thisYouTube video and it helped me out. It still felt really awkward for a while, but I kept at it and now I prefer it. I can be pretty dang speedy if I do say so myself. That being said, stick with whatever you're comfy with. It's not a contest, it's purely for your enjoyment.

Wanda Witch 04-17-2008 12:14 PM

I knit English, recently learned continental and was feeling quite comfortable with the method after practicing for quite some time, and yes, it felt very awkward at first. However, began an afghan, bulky-as-all-get-out yarn (using two at the same time) and just did not feel 'right' using the continental - so back to the throwing. I think it is the size needle, 17, along with the bulky yarn giving me the problem with the continental. I won't give up, it took too long to feel good with what I was knitting with the method but will stick it out on this project with the original way.

GinnyG 04-17-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1096696)
You don't have to learn continental if you're doing okay english style. One isn't better than another, just different, and you should use whatever's more comfortable for you.

ABSOLUTLEY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!