KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   To frog, or not to frog; that is the question (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78772)

G J 04-17-2008 04:08 PM

To frog, or not to frog; that is the question

1 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to make the Green Gables, but I think it's too tight around the neck. I'm considering frogging. What do y'all think? The picture's not very good-and you can see that it's actually farther forward than it would sit once the sleeves are in. So do I head for the frog pond, or leave it?

Jan in CA 04-17-2008 04:37 PM

It does appear higher on the neck than the original pattern so you would have to knit further before putting sleeve stitches on the holder, but it doesn't look bad at all.

Does it go over your head comfortably? If you like it that way I wouldn't bother frogging it, but if you would rather have it lower then you have no choice.

Did you use smaller needles or do you knit tightly? Just wondering why..

G J 04-17-2008 04:44 PM

I started with size small, and probably should have started up another size or so. I can get it over my head, but I'm afraid it will feel like it's choking me when I wear it. I was thinking about seeing if it would fit DD, who is a bit smaller than I am. She's coming home from college tomorrow. I'm about an 8 and she's about a 6. Think it would fit her, or is a neck about the same at any size?

Jan in CA 04-17-2008 04:48 PM

I'm not sure about neck sizes. :shrug: If it doesn't fit your daughter then it probably would be a good idea to frog since it would annoy you.

knitgal 04-17-2008 04:52 PM

Gina- I've heard their patterns are notoriously sized wrong i.e. usually too LARGE. I am making Ms. Marigold and I'm making my right size, but I've heard that some of the patterns are sized funny. I have seem the neckline on Green Gables a little wider too, but I've also seem it your way. I think an 8 would be a small probably- is there an extra-small size on there too?
Are you part of the Zephyr group on Ravelry? You might ask there.

Luvmyrottnboy 04-17-2008 05:56 PM

My bet is once you try it on with the sleeves done it will be fine, especially after blocking.

I just finished a top-down and I thought the neckline looked too small/close fitting. I cast on 96 stitches and did 6 rows of twisted rib...it seemed small when I tried it on but when it fit over my head I kept going.

After getting the whole thing knitted, the weight of the garment pulled the neckline down and after blocking it was bigger still.

I guess it depend too on th eyarn. I was using King Tut cotton which grows a little, but not too much.

Mirl56 04-20-2008 09:58 AM

I don't know, it looks way tighter/close to the neck then the photos. Mind you, it looks nice, not too tight to wear. But itfyou want the neckline as open as the design..... maybe Luvmyrottnboy is right, the weight of the sweater & blocking will open it up more.

G J 04-20-2008 02:26 PM

Thank you all for your input. I frogged it. I found an error in row 2 and other one in row 6. I couldn't fix either one, so it's frogged. Oh well. I'll start over today. Thanks for the input on the Ravelry group! I didn't know there was one!