KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Discouraged (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79028)

danshe 04-24-2008 03:54 AM

Discouraged

I've been knitting for about 6 months and loving it. My main problem is that I can't fix mistakes. I've both read and been shown how to unravel or unknit but my attempts lead to a complete mess. I put one scarf away unrepaired several weeks ago waiting until I can get the hang of it.
But I'm 2/3 done with this noro scarf and decided to give it a try: http://www.oceanwindknits.ca/section...ree%20patterns

My only option is to rip it out and start again- but there's no guarantee I won't make a mistake again.
Can one be a "knitter" if she can't undo mistakes?

Jan in CA 04-24-2008 05:22 AM

Do you mean you can't tink back stitch by stitch or that you can't use a crochet hook to go back down a few rows to fix a stitch?

One thing you can do is to use a lifeline when working a complicated pattern (or any really). Put a length of smaller gauge yarn or embroidery floss on a yarn needle and run it through the stitches on the needle after you've done a certain amount of rows and then move it up as you get more done. I think it's usually best to do it after each pattern repeat so if you have to rip back you now right where you are. There are 8 rows to the pattern repeat on this scarf you linked to so at the end of row 8 you put the lifeline in. :thumbsup:

Karina 04-24-2008 05:46 AM

If you go to the video section on this site there are a tips section which show videos of how to do the life line as Jan described and other commen mistakes. Take a peek might help if you can see it in action.

WandaT 04-24-2008 09:11 AM

For me that just came with practice. There are still mistakes that I cannot fix and have to rip out. But I have gotten better and there are more times when CAN fix the mistake. Don't give up ...

missmom31 04-24-2008 09:26 AM

don't get discouraged with your knitting. it takes practice and patience. I can recommend a good book to have on hand.. "Knit Fix" by Lisa Kartus. I use it alot! Hope it helps.

McKnitty 04-24-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmom31 (Post 1099903)
don't get discouraged with your knitting. it takes practice and patience. I can recommend a good book to have on hand.. "Knit Fix" by Lisa Kartus. I use it alot! Hope it helps.

I also highly recommend Knit Fix. It is always near me when I'm knitting. Between that book and this website, I have learned to correct my mistakes.

Remember that we all make mistakes, even the most experienced knitters, so don't be discouraged. Accept that mistakes are part of knitting, and like learning to knit and purl, it takes practice to learn how to correct mistakes.

Do you have some yarn you can play with and use for practice? That's what I do. I bought some bright, inexpensive yarn and use it to practice techniques before knitting on my 'real' project. I learn so much that way, because I'm not nervous about messing up the project or ruining the yarn.

danshe 04-25-2008 02:29 AM

I'm going to try the lifeline. I think that will help. I seem to do ok on the techniques (except entrelac which is my current project) but can't seem to repair mistakes.
I also ordered the Knit Fix book.

Thank you all for your help.

boo1 04-25-2008 10:04 AM

Try this DVD! >>>>

http://www.loriknits.com/oops.php

psquidy 04-25-2008 08:48 PM

That does come with experience. Once you knit a LOT and you really understand what it is that your weaving you will instinctivly(sp?) know how to TINK...and for the rest there is KH!!! The lifeline is a great idea though. I used one when i made my first cable and lace baby jacket because i knew i wouldn't be able to fix it if i screwed it up, but I ended up screwing it up on a totally different level and you know I would NEVER have been able to fix it without the help of people on this site. If you need help just explain it the best you can on here and you will be so surprised at how many people will understand and be able to help. We have all made EVERY mistake there is to make and will probably discover and make totally new mistakes of our own (I think that's what I did with my baby sweater). Don't you dare be discouraged! The fact that you can recognize a mistake is a skill on it's own. Keep trying and WE CAN HELP!:grphug:

selinechan 04-26-2008 06:06 AM

Yeah...sometimes I like to knit and knit fast while I'm watching the tv and other stuff and when I look back...drats...something has gone wrong because the stitches don't tally...lol...it's a pain to tink or worse frog your lovely hard work, but do we really have a choice? sigh. At least in knitting we can undo the mistake we'd made :P So lesson at hand, be patient and focus on the work at hand. And if all else fails, look to the experts for help! yay!