KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bamboo needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79043)

lgoddard 04-24-2008 02:27 PM

Bamboo needles

Hello all! I am using bamboo needles with 100% yarn, only about the 3rd time I have used them. I feel like the finish is wearing off or something because the yarn feels like it sticks to the needles, not sliding along like before. Has anyone else had a problem with this? Maybe it is the finish of the needles wearing off or something?

Ingrid 04-24-2008 02:34 PM

Regular bamboo needles generally don't have a finish, to speak of, in my experience. Wool does tend to stick to them more, and there could be a build up of oils from your hands.

Try rubbing them with waxed paper and see if that helps.

lgoddard 04-24-2008 02:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try!

cfiest 04-24-2008 02:49 PM

The lady who taught me to knit loves using Bamboo Needles. She said to use fine grit sandpaper and give them the once over once in a while to keep the yarn moving smoothly.

DudeWithSticks 04-24-2008 03:24 PM

I only use bamboo. (I do use Addi Turbos in both metal and the natura/bamboo) And I have never had that problem. Maybe you knit on the tighter side? Also, I first started using off brand bamboo needles and they did stick more.
I then switched to Clover/Takumi and really liked it much more. The finish is great and they are just highly polished not coated with a laquer. I have found that the more that I use them the better they get. And I think that the natural oils from your hands make them better and they do not build up.
I have since switched to the new Clover/Takumi Velvet bamboo in both DPN's, Circs, and Single Pointed. And they are far my favorite. The feel and the slickness is great when you knit, your work just slides off the needles, but it still is not as slick as using metal ones.
Hope that helps.

lgoddard 04-24-2008 03:37 PM

I am not sure why the yarn does not feel like it slides along now. It is 100% cotton, seems to be more toward the ends of the needle that it just is not as smooth anymore. They are Clover needles. I might just be too used to my Addi needles (metal) so these feel different. Not a big problem, just wanted to know if others experienced this. I am going to try the wax paper trick this evening to see if that cleans them up a bit.
Thank you everyone for your tips.

SandraS 04-24-2008 04:18 PM

I use Clover as well. Sometimes my stitches kind of stick, but it's usually that I'm knitting on the tight side.

Janiegirl 04-24-2008 07:57 PM

I get the same problem. Plus, eventually they end up dented and the tips get dulled. Mine never seem to get any better, they just keep getting worse. I've used several different brands, and they all do it. The last one I bought was an Addi, and I don't think I can use it anymore after knitting a sleeveless top with it. :tap: