KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   This is why I don't walk for exercise... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79082)

figaro 04-25-2008 06:11 PM

This is why I don't walk for exercise...

Hubby took my truck today to drop off some plants for a customer over at QVC in PA so me and the 2 1/2 yo (in the stroller) had to walk to pick the girls up from school. It is not a far walk at all, I think 4 blocks total. And now I am in such pain, it is not muscle pain though. The pain, it feels like it starts from the hip joints and shoots down to my knee joints then eventually down to my feet. It is a nagging and annoying pain that Aleve really does not help all that much but it is all I have to take. The walk was not even a solid type of walk, we walked to Taylor's school, a block up and over and waited about 15 minutes then walked up another block and waited about 20 minutes. This has been happening to me for years, I know it has something to do with my hip joints and I really need to go to the Dr. over here for it.

Ok, while I don't feel physical better, I do feel better getting it out there! Thanks for listening to me!

snowbear 04-25-2008 06:30 PM

One thing that does help me... and I have arthritis in my knees, is using the gel insoles. They really do help. I go through about 1 every 3 months. It helps even if I walk in the grocery store, etc. Just a suggestion.

auburnchick 04-25-2008 06:40 PM

:hug:

evona 04-25-2008 06:51 PM

I agree about getting insoles of some kind. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and I have a bad habit of turning my left foot inward which causes a lot of pressure on my knee. I bought Superfeet insoles for my boots. They are kind of pricey but they help keep my foot in place in my boot and my knees comfortable. I should get them for all my shoes. As I sit here I can feel the pain in my knee from turning my foot in my dress flats just as I walk around the office.

Perhaps, like me you turn your foot strangely when you walk as well causing undue stress on other joints. You should watch how you walk and if you notice a turn of some kind maybe find some shoes that might help your gait.

In the mean time, take care of yourself and feel better :hug: :hug:

KnitWit1987 04-25-2008 08:40 PM

My fiance has the same problem. The doctor reccomended glucosamine. We found a drink at Sam's called Joint Juice, it really helps him a lot. I have also seen it at Walmart. Good Luck and I hope you feel better :muah:

vaknitter 04-25-2008 08:41 PM

Wow, that really sucks ... I love to walk, hike and run. I broke my ankle few weeks ago and am really missing my workouts. Hope you figure something out soon

dustinac 04-25-2008 09:35 PM

:hug::heart::hug:

figaro 04-25-2008 09:40 PM

Thanks everyone! The pain is about 75% gone now thank goodness. I am going to call my doctor on Monday for a appointment. This is something I have had for years, at one point I was tested for RA but it was negative. I just need to get in to the Dr. and figure it out once and for all.

ecb 04-26-2008 04:52 PM

sciatica?

are you sure its not a Sciatic irritation?
a malalignment of the hip joints, or lower spine can irritate the sciatic nerve that is the bundle that communicates all feeling from your foot and leg.
Remember in HS when your science teacher had someone hold out their hand, and touched them, and asked "where do you feel that?"
The answer is "in my brain" not "right there where you touched me"

Best reatment is to apply ice right to the part of your but where the hip and leg connect

JM (never to be confused with) HO

ecb

annomalley 04-26-2008 10:17 PM

What you described sound an awful lot like sciatica. My DH has had problems with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecb (Post 1100924)
are you sure its not a Sciatic irritation?
a malalignment of the hip joints, or lower spine can irritate the sciatic nerve that is the bundle that communicates all feeling from your foot and leg.

The muscles tense up around where that nerve is pinched, and that causes a lot of the pain, too. DH spent quite a bit of time getting muscle work done at the chiropractor. DH being overweight didn't help, either. He started losing weight and excercising, and his is feeling a lot better. He still has some pain, but it's not as bad as it was.