KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Need Info About Podcasts (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79656)

losnana 05-13-2008 06:02 AM

Need Info About Podcasts

I am totally ignarant about ipods, but want to be able to listen to KH's podcasts while driving my car. I do know that ipods have earphones, which I believe to be dangerous while driving. Is it possible to use an ipod without earphones? Or, even better, is there a way to copy a podcast onto a CD? Is it legal to do so?:?? :?? :??

Silver 05-13-2008 07:10 AM

KH doesn't have podcasts. But there are KH members who have podcasts, like Kemp and ItsJustMegan, and lots of other knitting podcasts to listen to.

But to listen to your ipod in the car, (anything from music to audiobooks to podcasts), you'll need some sort of adapter.

If you have an auxiliary (AUX or MP3) input jack, you can just buy this kind of cable that looks like a headphone plug, but it's the same on both ends. This is the easiest and most inexpensive way to listen to your ipod in your car, but very few car stereos have this input jack already. Sometimes you can buy an AUX adapter kit for your car or your radio, but will need someone qualified to install it for you. More and more new cars are already coming with them though, so if you have a newer model car, you might get lucky. Or if you're in the market for a new car stereo, buy one with this input jack.

If you have a cassette player in your radio, you can get a cassette adapter, like this. This is also easy and inexpensive. Just insert it like a tape, plug the other end into your ipod and viola.

If you don't have either, and only have a CD player, you'll need an FM transmitter. It's considerably more expensive, and the cheapest transmitters, while still a decent price tag, aren't always reliable and sometimes have crackling interference. A transmitter plugs into your ipod and transmits the sound to a radio frequency. You dial into that station on your radio and you can listen to your ipod through your radio.

You can also find bluetooth adapters for ipods if you want to go that route, but I don't know anything about them.

Or, yes, you can burn podcasts to a CD (but this kinda defeats the purpose of having an ipod, IMHO.) Create a new playlist in itunes and put the podcasts you want to burn in the playlist. Then right-click on the playlist name and select Burn Playlist to CD. I recommend using rewritable CDs for this since you usually only listen to a podcast once, then you can rewrite the CD with a new podcast.

Hope this helps! :)

losnana 05-13-2008 09:24 PM

Silver, thanks so very much for all the info. I meant KP podcasts, not KH, not that it makes any difference. i really appreciate your taking the time to help.

SteveDallas 05-13-2008 09:37 PM

You didn't say if you already had an ipod... but if you don't, and you're shopping for one, I'm a big fan of buying "last years model." The Apple refurb store usually has some good deals, and they come with the same 1 yr warranty from Apple.

Also remember that "ipod" is the Apple brand name... there are plenty of non-Apple portable digital music players out there. Some of them are very cheap, but they may or may not be easy to use. I'm an ipod fan myself, but there are definitely other options worth considering.

Silver 05-14-2008 07:39 AM

You're very welcome! :)

cristina61 05-14-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

since you usually only listen to a podcast once,
:roll: Maybe I'm shouldn't admit to this, but I have a number of podcast episodes that I've listened to several times. :teehee: