KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mother's Day (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79673)

Simply_Renee 05-13-2008 04:15 PM

Mother's Day

This year, I got the best present ever! :heart:

My darling daughter (who is 12 and in the pre-teen, eyerolling, hates me, full of angst phase) KNITTED me a MUG COZY!

She just came up with it herself and has been working on it in secret in her room with some yarn we bought for her to make herself something.

And she presented it around a glass full of iced tea for me! cloud9

GirlChris 05-13-2008 04:21 PM

that is so awesome. Especially the time it took her, how sweet. DId you teach her to knit? I want to teach my kids but they aren't interested. I especially want my 9yo DS because I feel it would help his fine motor skills but he has refused to do such a girlie thing. Funny cuz he is far from a jockish boy anyway. I'm gonna feel working on him. LOL

Simply_Renee 05-13-2008 04:27 PM

I helped her get started but she is a crafty little thing. She knits left-handed (she is a leftie) english & does stockinette by knitting back & forth on the needle. She also has a unique way of holding the needle. She taught herself to crochet too (which I don't do) and play the keyboard, and loves to draw. She likes to knit and usually does small projects that she improvises (i-pod holder, a little shawl, crocheted bracelet).

Maybe the knitting bug will hit your son from seeing you do it all the time. I notice a lot more guys knit than I thought. You could always show him Mason's pic & ask him if he looks feminine at all. :mrgreen:

ETA please don't think I am bragging like crazy on my kid, people. It's just that if I don't focus on the positive right now, one of us may not make it to her 13th b-day!!!

YouCantBuyThisMovement 05-13-2008 04:57 PM

Awwww that is so very sweet. I cant wait until mine is old enough to do things like that. I know you are a proud mom.

saracidaltendencies 05-13-2008 05:11 PM

Aww, that is so sweet!

Cirrus 05-13-2008 06:21 PM

GirlChris, you might try having your son use the sewing machine if he isn't interested in knitting. You know "men" and their machines! My 8-year-old son made a little quilt and loved doing it.

Renee, what a sweet gift from your daughter.

bambi 05-13-2008 09:34 PM

Rene, that is so sweet! I would have cried like a nut job. (I cry at Kleenex commercials, though.)

And brag all you want on your DD. I think that it's wonderful to be so proud of her.

Bambi

CognizantAmiga 05-14-2008 08:46 AM

That is so sweet! CONGRATULATIONS!

suecq 05-14-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlChris (Post 1107320)
that is so awesome. Especially the time it took her, how sweet. DId you teach her to knit? I want to teach my kids but they aren't interested. I especially want my 9yo DS because I feel it would help his fine motor skills but he has refused to do such a girlie thing. Funny cuz he is far from a jockish boy anyway. I'm gonna feel working on him. LOL

Chris, I taught my son to knit when he was 13 (his request.) Now (almost 16) he knits scarves for the girls. It has turned into quite a chick magnet as he has a waiting list of girls that want him to knit scarves.

kellee0302 05-14-2008 10:42 AM

That is great. I also have a teenager, so I know what you mean.
Chris my teenager is male and he knits, and has since he was 5, not steady but here and there. give your son time and he may come around. The newest thing is cell phone cozies, he's making them for everyone, even my friends are asking him to make them.