KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help with sweather (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79919)

sig 05-21-2008 11:36 AM

Help with sweather

Hello! I'm trying to find a way to fix this sweather.
Everything is ok with it but I don't like the neck, it's too low. Is it there a way to add a collar to this type of sweather? I just finished seaming. There's no way I'm wearing this sweather with such a low neck, I added a couple of inches but guess cotton always stretches. Anyway... hope you can help me or direct me to the right place. Thank you! :thumbsup:

PS. this pattern didn't had any neck shaping, you just had to split the front and make some decreases.

Knitting_Guy 05-21-2008 11:40 AM

Well, I'm no expert but I would think you should be able to go back and pick up stitches at the lower part of the neck and knit a few inches up into it to make it higher.

The hard part might be making that invisible.

sig 05-21-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy (Post 1110122)
Well, I'm no expert but I would think you should be able to go back and pick up stitches at the lower part of the neck and knit a few inches up into it to make it higher.

The hard part might be making that invisible.

Thank you!:thumbsup: That's what I was thinking. I just found this instructions for another sweather
Neckband
Using smaller circ needle, with RS facing and beg at one shoulder, pick up and knit 33 [36, 40, 44, 50] down left neck edge; place marker to mark center st, k center st from safety pin; pick up and knit 33 [36, 40, 44, 50] up right neck edge; and pick up and knit 30 (32, 36, 40, 44) sts across back. 97[105, 117, 129, 145] sts
Place marker to show beg of rnd.
Next Round: Work neckband in (k2, p2) rib until 2 sts before center front marker, SSK, k1, k2tog, work to end in rib patt.
Rep this round until neckband is 1 inch wide.
BO all sts in rib pattern.

Do you think they might work? mmm.... I've never done this before:shifty:

suzeeq 05-21-2008 11:54 AM

You could pick up stitches for a neckband, but you could also start the split for the V a couple inches higher or wherever you want it to be.

Oh, I guess you're essentially done. Then try the neckband, use a smaller needle than you knit the sweater with. Unless the instructions you found are for a sweater with the same measurements, gauge and yarn weight, the sts you would pick up may not match. A good way to do it is to pick up 3 sts for every 4 along the neckline and stitch for stitch across the back of the neck, making sure you get a stitch number that's divisible by 4 for the 2x2 rib. That works regardless of how big the neckline is, or your gauge.

fibrenut 05-21-2008 01:49 PM

Beings it's just a split v-neck with no shaping on it, why couldn't you just seam up the v a little bit so that it wouldn't be so deep?
I hope that helps ya hun!!:knitting: :thumbsup:

gotta knit 05-21-2008 02:07 PM

What about a camisole effect? Instead of just wearing a camisole under it, maybe knit a lacy triangle or square (from the same yarn or white), and sew it in as part of the top.

Wish I could find a picture of what I mean.

bambi 05-21-2008 02:48 PM

I agree with seaming the neck higher. I ran into the same problem with different sweater and I single crocheted around three times. Unfortunately, I still have to wear a cami under it.

If you don't crochet, I'd pick up and knit around the edge.

Bambi

Becky Morgan 05-21-2008 03:48 PM

Or run some matching narrow ribbon through the neckline and gather it in to where you want it. I've used the lace panel idea too, and it also works.

sig 05-22-2008 03:03 AM

Thank you! You guys are so great! I decided to pick up stitches and add a neckband. I don't know how this is going to turn but... well... live and learn! ;) The problem I think is going to be that this sweater is made out of cotton... and that fiber shows every little mistake you make!
It is like the Harlot says on her book, we knitters end up wearing something that don't fit but with pride cause we knit it! hehehe
:muah:
ps: I have to keep in mind that I don't look like the models on the magazine and even if what they are wearing looks great on them it may not be the same with me! ;)

sig 05-25-2008 06:05 AM

Here is what I did. Still need to weave in ends. Thank you for your help! Now is something I can wear:woot: