KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Circular to Double Pointed Needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80274)

do4x4 06-01-2008 12:27 AM

Circular to Double Pointed Needles

Can anyone tell me how I can convert a sock pattern that uses circular needles to double pointed. I just learned how to knit socks after knitting for several years and I found a pattern I really liked to knit a pair of socks, but the pattern uses circular needles. I'd prefer to knit the pair with double pointed socks before tackling the circular needles. The pattern starts with casting on 35 stitches so how would that work. :X: Thanks in advance for the help.

Doreen in Wisconsin

MerigoldinWA 06-01-2008 02:02 AM

Doreen here is a one sentence quote from the KNITWIT's website. (I'm trying to give credit to her, but don't know her name. Her site has a logo with a Washington State car license plate.) She says "If you prefer to work with two circulars then it's simple enough to use any sock pattern written in the traditional manner for dpns because the only thing that changes is the # of needles you're working with." She is talking about the possibility of using any pattern written for dpns to make socks with 2 circulars, and it sounds like what you want to do is just the opposite. So the reverse should be true, any pattern for 2 circulars should work on dpns.

I have not made socks on two circulars myself, but it sounds like she is saying that nothing changes as far as the way the sock is made for dpns or two circulars and that you can use the patterns interchangeably. I know enough to know the number you cast on would be the same and if they are cuff down socks that part would not change (unless it gives you special instructions of how to join to begin or something, if it does just ignore that and join them your normal way). The only place they may be different is in the handling of the stitches at the heel part, but from what she says it is the same. :shrug:

If they are toe up or designed to be made via Magic Loop method things might be different. Maybe someone who has actually done this will have a more sure word, but from what the KNITWIT says, it sounds like you could give it a try. Good luck.

Lisa R. 06-01-2008 03:47 PM

I have Cat Bhordi's "Socks Soar on Two Circulars" which has a method of converting from dpns to circs. "Sensational Knitted Socks" has all its patterns set up for dpns or circs.

The obvious thing is how to divide the stitches on the needles (two needles instead of 3 or 4). It's mostly not a big deal, but you have to make sure when doing the heel flap, that all the heel stitches are on one needle, and then when you pick up for the gusset, you end up with the heel sole stitches on one needle and the instep (or top of foot) on the other. (Though if you're pattern is not full of cables and texture, even that is not hugely important).

when you get to grafting the toe, make sure it's oriented properly for grafting.

do4x4 06-01-2008 09:16 PM

thanks for the help to both of you. i guess i was a little confused because of the fact that my pattern starts with cast on 35 and if I'm working with 3 needles or 4 that doesn't divide evenly so I don't know how many stitches to put on each needle.

Doreen in Wisconsin

suzeeq 06-01-2008 09:29 PM

They don't have to divide up totally even - you can have one stitch more or less on one or two needles.

wannabe 06-01-2008 09:35 PM

Oh deer here I am just st getting up the nerve to try socks and you girls do this to me! Soo, please explain why you would need to pairs of circular needles? Why not one pair of circulars and one dpn?

suzeeq 06-01-2008 09:56 PM

One of the techniques for knitting small diameter things is with 2 circs and there are patterns written for that. You could use a circ and one dpn, I've done that on really small things where I could only find one or two of my dpns (I only have one set). It might get confusing, but if you've knit a sock before you could probably figure it out.

do4x4 06-02-2008 07:41 PM

Sue,

thanks for the reply I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Doreen in Wisconsin