KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best needles for a beginner? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80568)

MichelleC 06-12-2008 10:27 AM

Best needles for a beginner?

Hi everyone!

What's the best type of needle for a beginner? what do you like?

Cynamar 06-12-2008 10:33 AM

It totally depends on your yarn. You will get very frustrated trying to knit cotton or acrylic on needles that aren't slick enough. If you buy your yarn at a yarn shop ask them what they recommend. THey will be very helpful.

gatorjade 06-12-2008 10:41 AM

Hello! :waving:

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend Susan Bates metal needles. They are very affordable and you can build up a collection of sizes over time. Also, www.knitpicks.com sells interchangeable needle sets ($59.99 for nickel plated and $69.99 for wooden) in which you'd have several sizes available to you without having to buy them separately. Hope this helps. Happy knitting! :thumbsup:

cam90066 06-12-2008 10:53 AM

Metal ndls can be very slippery. Some like wood for its 'grip.' Agree that, if you can, stop by your LYS and try out diff combos of ndls/yarn. What works for you might not be what someone else prefers. Diff ndls have different points. They range from very sharp to somewhat rounded. If you tend to push off the ndl tip with your finger, you'll like certain ones better than others.

cam

khaosx5 06-12-2008 11:14 AM

My kids liked the bamboo because it had some grip. They got very frustrated when using the metal needles because they kept sliding out of the stitches.
:knitting:

MichelleC 06-12-2008 11:16 AM

Thanks everyone! I may try and go visit the knitting shop near me.

Azlynn 06-12-2008 11:36 AM

Since I'm still fairly new, I remember the needles I loved the most just starting out were plastic because the yarn didn't slide off like the metal ones, but they were still slick enough that the yarn glided when I wanted it to. I quickly outgrew those, though, as I felt like I was going to break them when I started doing more stitchwork (increases, etc.).

Now...my favorite overall are bamboo.

LovelyLinda 06-12-2008 11:48 AM

I am fairly new to knitting as well and when I was learning last fall I preferred the Addi Turbos because the yarn sticking on the plastic ones was frustrating. It is a very personal choice, you just have to try some and see which ones you like the feel of.

I was lucky at the time because the LYS that was teaching me how to knit allowed me to try different needles while at the shop before I bought the ones I liked.

stdwynwen 06-12-2008 12:20 PM

I started out with plastic then quickly fell in love with Bamboo.
I find them easier on my right index finger; I tend to push my left needle down with my right index finger before I do my next stitch.

I have a few sizes in metal circulars which again are hard on my index finger because they're so pointy. For those I end up wearing a rubber finger guard (like the ones people wear to count money) to make it easier.

SBG 06-12-2008 12:54 PM

I wish I'd known about the Knit Picks Options interchangeables when I first started. I don't like wood needles. I have a bunch of aluminum ones, but the nickel-plated are so great!