KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Northeast US Oddball Baby Blankets (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81357)

Shandeh 07-07-2008 01:06 AM

Northeast US Oddball Baby Blankets

Hello friendly charity knitters and crocheters!

We work together to make Oddball Baby Blankets for charity. Our blankets will be made according to the requests of our local hospital(s), so keep watching this thread to see our guidelines.

Suziehomemaker will be the leader for the Northeast Region Oddball Baby Blankets.

The Northeast Region includes: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

If you would like to volunteer to help make our blankets, please send Suziehomemaker a private message, and she'll help you get started!

Our project will begin in August, so let's start our plans!

Spikey 07-07-2008 07:02 PM

Greetings to all Northeast Knitters & Crocheters!

Sandy has set the bar extremely high but, with help from gmmarton (who has graciously offered to assist with blanket delivery) we can go a long way toward keeping loads of Northeast babies warm! :woohoo:

Plans are still in the early stages, but we'll likely start with worsted weight blankets, before branching out into preemie (DK/sportweight) blankets, if that's ok with everyone.

I'll post info here as decisions are made. All input is welcome! :grphug: We'll need knitters for the blankets, of course, and volunteers who might be willing to crochet borders. Please PM me if you are interested.

Once we are well up and rolling, I'll try to put together a website where we can keep track of the blankets. Any advice from computer-savvy KHers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

ETA-thanks to the inspiration from The.Knitter, I've created a blog to track our blankets http://northeastoddball.blogspot.com/

The.Knitter 07-07-2008 07:12 PM

If you look on my signature, you will see where I have my blog listed. This is where I show pictures of blankets as they come to me, welcome new members, list finished blankets and post their pictures. You could try setting up a blog there if you wanted to.

Good luck with your new venture!

Spikey 07-08-2008 06:25 PM

Plans For Our First Blanket

In honor of our region, our first blanket will be called the Nor'easter :cheering:, with pretty blues and whites of the skies and the ocean, and maybe a little stormy gray in there, too. :teehee:

We only need two more knitters and our first blanket will be all set for its August start, including a crocheted border. Thanks to those who have PMed me already!

gmmarton will be delivering our worsted weight blankets to the Pediatric Center at Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, CT.

We have a tentative plan for preemie blankets (DK/sportweight) to go to the Philadelphia area, and I'll post an update once we have confirmation.

Thanks to all! :woot:

Shandeh 07-08-2008 07:33 PM

Go Northeast! :happydance:

Spikey 07-09-2008 10:38 PM

Way to go Northeasters! Our first blanket has a full complement of knitters! :happydance:

Nor'easter
Spikey
gmmarton
threesmom
LilHuskiesFootballMom
onb4050
kellee0302 (has also offered to crochet our border)

I'll get it started as soon as I get some needles (Shandeh is sending us a supply), so it will be ready to send out on our official start date.

For our second blanket, how about calling it August, to honor the 'birth month' of our new group?

I read that Peridot is the modern birthstone for August, and it can range in color from "light yellow-green to the intense bright green of new spring grass to olive". Sounds like gorgeous colors for a blanket to me!!!

Who's interested?

Thanks to all for your enthusiasm! Let's keep Shandeh's momentum going, and make her proud :mrgreen:

Shandeh 07-10-2008 02:36 AM

I'm proud already. cloud9

Spikey 07-10-2008 07:10 PM

Woo hoo! We have a new knitter in our group. Welcome sarahbean!:grphug:

Also, LilHuskiesFootballMom, who has previously worked on larger blankets, has volunteered to help us with our baby blankets!

Thanks to both of you, and to all of the other terrific knitters who have signed up.

Already, our second blanket only needs two more knitters! :woohoo:

Spikey 07-10-2008 07:11 PM

Any graphically talented NEers out there?

Hi Gang,

Is anyone interested in designing a button for our group, like the ones below, that we can use to link to our thread?

Thanks!!!

threesmom 07-12-2008 09:52 PM

Welcome sarahbean and Footballmom!

I can't do a button, but I did have an idea for another blanket once we get rolling - how about Mermaid Tails - lots of teals, blues, greens, purples, pinks? (I was looking at my stash ... the idea just came to me ...:aww: ) I'd be happy to start it whenever....