KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   scarves for soldiers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82683)

quiltbee69 08-17-2008 08:47 AM

scarves for soldiers

hi there

there is a group collecting scarves to send over for the soldiers. they have to be a certain size and color.

anyway...they ask they be knitted so as to not "curl" up on the ends. What stitch should I use. I dont really know how to knit. :knitting: Want to learn how enuff to make a few scarves for the troops.

if anyone else is interested i can send you the info.

i have to get my how-to book out to learn how to cast on again.....LOL:muah: :muah:

RuthieinMaryland 08-17-2008 09:02 AM

Hi! Yes, please send the info on the scarves needed for soldiers. Last year I knitted a bunch of scarves for friends, family and the community elderly. I used one ball of homespun, working from the center pull and the outside thread so I could use a double strand. I cast on 12 stitches and knit each row to the end of the hank of yarn. They were very warm, very nice and squishy in the garter stitch (each row knit) and fast to work up. I don't know if this'd be suitable, but thought you'd like to know about it.

Thanks!
Ruthie

PS - I used size 19 needles

quiltbee69 08-17-2008 09:06 AM

Ruthie.....thats my Mom's nickname...lol

OK....I will send you the info. Email me at rn2639@cox.net and I will reply with it.

Does the knit stitch curl up on ends?? Yarn has to be 100% wool.

Thanks Ruthie
Laurie

farmgirl 08-17-2008 09:39 AM

I am going to e-mail you for the info. Knitting every row is garter stich and it doesn't curl. Stockinette stich is knitting 1 row and purling the next and it does curl. You can use stockinette but ou would need a garter stich border. Hope this helps.:X:

sabrinasmom 08-17-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmgirl (Post 1142296)
I am going to e-mail you for the info. Knitting every row is garter stich and it doesn't curl. Stockinette stich is knitting 1 row and purling the next and it does curl. You can use stockinette but ou would need a garter stich border. Hope this helps.:X:

Would this be something good to learn contintental knitting on? I have been wanting to try that method .

knitasha 08-17-2008 02:47 PM

Sure. By the time you're done with the scarf conti knitting will feel like second nature.

farmgirl 08-17-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrinasmom (Post 1142346)
Would this be something good to learn contintental knitting on? I have been wanting to try that method .

That is a really great idea! I think I'll try that!!!

RuthieinMaryland 08-17-2008 05:40 PM

Conti Knitting...

Hi - This is a great video demonstration of conti knitting. I've been knitting conti for some time and I LOVE it. Smooth, speedy and very efficient. But I had a wrong idea about the purling and watching this video cleared it up right away. Wow, I'm really moving along at a great rate now!!! I'd recommend this for anyone wanting to learn conti. Once you get over the awkwardness of changing your style, it's amazing how smooth this method is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLF...eature=related

Good luck!

Ruthie :waving:

RuthieinMaryland 08-17-2008 05:44 PM

Scarves for soldiers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by quiltbee69 (Post 1142287)
Ruthie.....thats my Mom's nickname...lol

OK....I will send you the info. Email me at rn2639@cox.net and I will reply with it.

Does the knit stitch curl up on ends?? Yarn has to be 100% wool.

Thanks Ruthie
Laurie

Hi, Laurie - Thanks for this - I'll e-mail you for the information. It'll be coming to you from eversongraphics@aol.com.

Wonderful of you to pass this along!

Ruthie:muah:

sabrinasmom 08-17-2008 10:43 PM

Thanks for the pattern link. Please be sure and read all of the specifcs. It mentions no small holes so the pattern and size of needle might be a factor. Would hate for some not to be used after all the work that was put into it.