KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Cleaning a stainless steel pan (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83320)

Hildegard_von_Knittin 09-04-2008 01:07 AM

Cleaning a stainless steel pan

HELP :waah:
I burned the bottom (inside) of an expensive stainless steel pan with olive oil the other morning and i CAN NOT get the stupid thing clean!!!! I can't use steel wool or anything with bleach, and I feel like I've been scrubbing for hours and hours to no effect. What can I try?

Jan in CA 09-04-2008 01:11 AM

Barkeeper's Friend works wonders. It's powdered like Comet, but doesn't scratch. I use it in my sink to take out the pan marks, in the tub on occasion, and it works well on pans, too. Oh and I much prefer the powder to the liquid.

There is a cleaning link on that page, but I didn't check it out.

fibrenut 09-04-2008 01:27 AM

Have you tried to deglaze the pan?
You heat it up with nothing in it (it needs to start smoking a little bit) then add about a half cup of soapy water to the hot pan and then take a green scrubber (using a rubber spatula) rub it around while the water bubbles n sizzles. You'd be surprised at how that works. If the oil has turned to varnish though you might have to use a degreaser and let it soak for a bit to get it off.

nicolejc83 09-04-2008 02:07 AM

you might also try baking soda

susi 09-04-2008 06:40 AM

also may be worth trying hot lemon in there as well, or even vinegar. white vinegar is great at getting stubern burnt things off here (i do it ofetn :aww: ).

Mike 09-04-2008 10:30 AM

Cooking tomato sauce will strip the seasoning off cast iron.
Seasoning is burnt on oil.

vaknitter 09-04-2008 11:14 AM

I boil mine out with baking soda and white vinegar. I have one pan that my MIL put in the dishwasher and the oil stain has turned to varnish. It's in the bottom of a stock pot that I don't use too much (much prefer my cast iron dutch oven) so I just live with it. It doesn't seem to get any worse when I do use it and it doesn't seem to give an off flavor to anything...

My new favorite cleaner is CLR, not sure if you can use that on stainless steel or not....

best of luck

Hildegard_von_Knittin 09-04-2008 11:50 AM

Uhm... how do I know if it's turned to varnish or not? :??

Mike, every time I cook, I say to myself "grr, this would be so much better in cast iron" ... but it isn't my house, and the pots and pans we have are fine, I'm just still getting used to cooking with non-coated steel on an electric stove (why does it take so long for "low" to actually become low?" I want my gas stove back!)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I live with The King of Exaggeration, and the pan I ruined is "an 800 dollar pan" :shock: :roll:

I have some cleaner for the flat stove-top, I wonder if that might work too...

Jan in CA 09-04-2008 12:16 PM

$800 :noway: Yeah, I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration! :doh:

Hildegard_von_Knittin 09-04-2008 01:06 PM

I inventoried what all we have available from your suggestions, and all we had was baking soda.... but we ALSO have a ton of SALT! So I used both, and it worked like magic :thumbsup: So much so , that I used the same mixture to clean both sinks and 2 other pans that had icky marks. thanks again everyone :hug: