KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Just ordered Addi Crochet Hooks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84678)

knitpurlgurl 10-17-2008 08:19 AM

Just ordered Addi Crochet Hooks

Anyone use these? I ordered sizes A-J. They are nickel plated, brass and have comfort grip handles... I tried using the Clover plastic, comfort needles and did not like them. Any reviews would be helpful. Thanks!

OffJumpsJack 10-17-2008 12:58 PM

Those Addi hooks do look nice. Cadillac styling! ;) And the handles may help prevent numbness and wrist pain. I suggest the knife style hold. It is much like holding the knitting needle. It is also important to minimize the flexing or bending of your wrist and favor the turning of the hook or twisting of your wrist to wrap the yarn over the hook to pull up your loop.

Knitpurlgurl, "Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!" :) (That's an inside joke with my children, apparently from the m&m dark candies commercials using Star Wars theme characters) Perhaps we can adjust it to "We have doilies!") :roflhard:

If you knit with the yarn in your left hand, you'll have an easier time learning crochet. Here is a website that has a drawing of how to hold the yarn in your left hand, it has one small difference from knitting. It doesn't wrap around your pinky! If you wrap the yarn around your pinky (as a knitter would) your tension will be too tight. Since you are a tight knitter, I suggest focusing on keeping your left hand relaxed and just flex and extend your index finger to adjust tension and also draw more yarn through your left hand.

I use a set of Wrights Boye hooks (D thru K) and their steel set (0,1,7,8,9,10) for crochet thread. That range serves my needs, and I've crocheted a number of projects from doilies to afghan to hats and scarves.

Both the Wrights Boye and the Addi hooks have smooth tapered heads. Contrast with Susan Bates Silvalume where the distance from the thumb tab to the hook is shorter and more consistent in diameter.

I think you made a good choice. Good luck with your Crochet!

Just avoid the pattern for the Doll Dress toilet paper cover. :roflhard:
(My mom has a couple of those and has gifted us with one.) ;)

--Jack

SusanMarie1956 10-17-2008 10:57 PM

BNo I haven't. I like Bamboo. It's much warmer.

Susan

MGM 10-18-2008 08:49 PM

Ooooh, those look NICE...like something that would be comfortable for those of us with carpal tunnel issues and all that. I'll be interested in hearing your review of them once you have a chance to use them.

MGM

bjc1050 10-19-2008 04:32 PM

I have some that I got from the www.needlepointjoint.com which is located in Utah. I really like the ones I received. They are $1.00 less there and shipping was only $5.95 - pretty reasonable.

KnittinMitchie 10-19-2008 10:18 PM

KPG Let us know how well you like the Addi hooks.

nephthys8 10-20-2008 11:20 AM

I don't have a set, but I did buy the 2.0mm one this weekend for fixing mistakes when making socks. I have yet to use it because I didn't get to do any sock knitting this weekend! :( However, from the way it looks (grippy handle, nice construction, etc.), I would say that it is going to be a dream to use. If you are big into crochet, my educated guess is that you are going to love these... I am looking forward to using mine.

dmknits 10-22-2008 09:05 PM

I've only used Boye hooks and have never seen any like that before. I'm interested in knowing how you like them.

melmac51 10-30-2008 10:27 AM

They look really nice. I prefer Susan Bates hooks to Boye. For some reason, they are easier (for me) to work with. I learned on Boye though.

KnittinMitchie 10-30-2008 12:10 PM

I've got susan bates for my aluminum and boye for my steels. The only difference I found was the placement of the "grip" area.

Those Addis do look nice and I've been looking at getting a 2nd full set.