KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Just cast on my first pair of socks!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84956)

lelvsdgs 10-25-2008 09:35 PM

Just cast on my first pair of socks!!!

I'm so excited! I just cast on my first pair of socks using Silver's Sock tutorial!!!!
The dpn's are pretty awkward but I'm hoping they will get easier as I work with them. I decided to do these first rather than try the circs. That will be my next attempt!
The tutorial plus the videos on this site have made this doable... Yay!! thanks so much!!

Plantgoddess+ 10-25-2008 09:39 PM

Good for you. I think Silver is responsible for a lot of sock addicts. Just wait until you get to slide them onto your feet.

lelvsdgs 10-25-2008 09:49 PM

At this point, I don't even care if they fit!!! This has been a goal of mine for years and I finally decided while I have this time off to do it! I can see that this could get addicting!:happydance:

Plantgoddess+ 10-25-2008 09:54 PM

I have cut myself off from socks for a bit. I knit 19 pair in the last year and almost all of them for me. Hubby won't wear them and I have no other family close. Even friends are not hand knit fans.
I hope you find making them as much fun as I do.

lelvsdgs 10-25-2008 10:03 PM

I told my boyfriend once that I wanted to learn how to knit socks and that I wanted to make him a pair. He said he wouldn't want to wear them because he knew how much work went into them and didn't want to ruin them... I told him that like a sweater, they are made to be worn but he felt they were too "good" to wear. Was he kidding??? I don't know... Very strange.

Mulderknitter 10-25-2008 10:49 PM

Congrats!:woohoo: We have a new addict!
Seriously, I use patterns for socks, but for basic, run of the mill socks I ALWAYS go back to the MOST FABULOUS SILVER!:woot: Her sock tutorial was the first sock I ever made, and I highly recommend her. After you get the hang of the heel, gusset, etc, you are hooked!
Welcome to sock addicts!:yay:

knitpurlgurl 10-26-2008 07:54 AM

Congrats!!! Silver's tutorials are terrific as are the videos here on KH!!! I just finished my first sock (hoping not to have SSS) - but I used magic loop. I'm way too clumsy for DPNs.

The great thing about socks is : they're so portable and they are like instant gratification projects! Socks have so many steps: cuff, leg, heel flap, turning the heel, gusset, foot, toe (or backwards if you knit toe up). IT's awesome because when you get past each step you instantly feel you've accomplished something! It's exciting and they are custom fit! (Great thing about magic loop method - I kept trying on my sock while on the needles until it was the right size.) Which is super important to me because I have NO arches (flat-footed) and as my hubby says, I have elfin feet. So custom made socks is a good idea! Plus - sock yarn is just so yummy that you're almost compelled to CO.

I can't wait to finish my first pair and move onto a patterned sock!! :) Post pics of your socks!!! What yarn are you using?

SPCnut 10-26-2008 08:59 PM

Add me to the sock virgin too! I am about to cast on my first sock too! I think I will go through Silver's tutorial as well as she gets such great reviews.

lelvsdgs 10-26-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCnut (Post 1167088)
Add me to the sock virgin too! I am about to cast on my first sock too! I think I will go through Silver's tutorial as well as she gets such great reviews.

I recommend it! She's very clear and really, do be patient with yourself. It's a little awkward but you'll get the hang of it. Yay!!!:woohoo:

dreamsherl 10-26-2008 10:23 PM

Good for you. I'm so afraid of trying socks.