KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Life gets in the way of knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85290)

scout52 11-04-2008 07:53 PM

Life gets in the way of knitting

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your knitting? I have been trying let me empahsize TRYING to finish my sister skirt for Christmas but I have been working SOOOO much that I have barely any time to work on it. And then I miscalculated the yarn requirements because I forgot that I went a size up and ran out of yarn :wall: :gah:

Thank goodness I was able to find another skien in the MATCHING dyelot on ravelry but I am never going to finish my Christmas list at this rate. :waah: I'm normally a fast knitter but I need more than 15 minutes a night to knit.

And to top it off I missed 3 weekends a row with my knitting group because of work. :cry: Those women seriously keep me sane. I love those group of women. I never have had much luck making women friends and now I finally have. So I guess the positive is it makes me appreciate them more when I miss them.

My family really loves my knitted gifts and requested things in JULY!! They really just asked ONLY KNITTED GIFTS FOR Christmas. Are they the best or what? Now I want to deliver but I guess it will have to be after.

Thanks for letting me rant.

evona 11-05-2008 05:28 AM

I seriously know what you mean! I really couldn't knit for months because of obligations of all sorts. Now I'm back to knitting for Christmas, but only small things or I'll never get them done. I still think I'll have to get most of them out after Christmas :shrug:

Dianeadae 11-05-2008 09:24 AM

I hear ya, sister!....it's also good to have a knitting forum online, where we can rant and be understood for our knitting passions.

I got up at 5AM today just to spend an hour fixing up 4 rows of a scarf I was too tired to look at last night.

Can you find those in-between minutes here and there, waiting in lines?
Leave the complex projects, like that skirt, for quiet times, and take easy things along with you?.....scarves etc...

Crycket 11-05-2008 09:44 AM

I totally get that...

Although I have to say, my past employer was very awesome and let me knit at my window (I was a box office clerk for Live theatre)...My request to her was, it is no different than having a magazine out....and in the end, she benefited from it too....

I used to have home, DH's house and work, and sometimes the streetcar, but now I only have my new home....so even though I do not yet have a job....I still find myself with less time to knit...go figure!

MoniDew 11-05-2008 12:25 PM

:grphug: :muah: :heart: :hug:

You have my sympathies!!!!!

But, do you need to re-evaluate your priorities? Are you taking on too much in other areas of your life, leaving no time for yourself/relaxation/knitting?

Maybe there is something else you need to say "no" to right now, so that you can buy yourself some time?
________
Aging Forums

jpenguin 11-05-2008 12:36 PM

I have finally learned after year off saying "yes" to everyone & everything that left me no time for myself to say "no". I was a stay at home mom up until January when I went back to work cause my kids are now in high school & don't need me as much anymore. I did lose my crafting time during the day but now have one night a week set aside to join some girlfriends at a local coffee shop to knit. Yea for me!:woohoo:I look forward to those nights & my family knows what night it is & they are on their own for dinner or have to rely on dad for what every they need. And no I don't feel one bit guilty about it! Girl talk & knitting, just what ever girl needs each week.:woot:

scout52 11-05-2008 02:39 PM

thanks for all your kind words. I take my knitting with me everywhere I go. So if I have 5 min to spare I will pull it out. I try to knit during lunch but lately I had to eat lunch at my desk. :( It really slows you down when you are working on the weekend as well. I did manage to get some booties off when I got one day off while waiting for the replacement yarn to come in.

I really hope work slows down soon. It has been non stop since the end of September and I am getting worn out!!

Knitting_Guy 11-06-2008 07:20 PM

I know how you feel. I can only knit when my rig is parked. Well, ok, I probably COULD knit while driving my rig but somehow I just don't think it would be a good idea :rofl:

The other day I got a little sore at the truckstop waitress for bringing my food too quickly. I hadn't even finished one row yet!

scout52 11-06-2008 09:16 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh I soo needed that!! Thanks!!

nephthys8 11-07-2008 10:47 AM

I can relate, too.

I live in the suburbs of Washington DC and commute into the city (about 50 mins each way) every day to work. This commute is a LOT shorter than my two hour commute last year, but now that I live closer to the city, it seems like I am always busy! I do knit on the metro on my way to work, but I don't usually get a seat on the way home, so I can only knit one way. I also knit at work while I eat lunch. (This leads to LOTS of questions and compliments from my co-workers, I might add.)

Home is the worst, though. It always seems like there's something that needs to be done: bills to pay, cleaning, spending time with my cat, or things I want to go out and do with my friends. Lately, I have been blowing off all of the above to knit because I am working on an exchange project with a deadline. But, hoo boy, sometimes I just have to do the other stuff and deal with the fact that I can't knit. It sucks!!