KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Baby Cocoon (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85557)

Mary838 11-12-2008 10:03 AM

Baby Cocoon

I just found out about the Baby Cocoon. It's knitted and the baby fits into it....Never knew this existed. My niece's daughter would like me to knit one and I can't find a pattern. I did find a picture but I can't afford to buy it. Would there be a free pattern out there that I could try. I am sending a link to what I am talking about and I hope it works. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you....Mary
http://www.etsy.com:80/view_listing....ng_id=16943260

dejamo85 11-12-2008 11:03 AM

I love that! Unfortunately I have not seen a pattern for it. But, I will keep looking and let you know if I run across one; I would love to have one for the little girl I am expecting!

of troy 11-12-2008 11:06 AM

it looks like a oversize hat--use large needles and a chunky yarn (the yarn looks like a think and thin spun yarn--)
Use a slightly larger needle than suggested for yarn (ie, if they suggest 10.5--use an 11 (if you knit tight, use a size 13)

cast on 4,
join into a round,
Increase 4 on first round
after that,
1 round no increase, 1 round with 8 increases.

continue increasing till you have a 20 to 28 inch tube.

knit straight (plain rounds) until tube is about 20 inches long.
(alternately, work the rounds in garter stitch--1 round Knit (increase roung) 1 round purl (plain/no increase)/after you have enough stitches, continue in garter (with no increases on knit rounds)

bind off loosely.

Simply_Renee 11-12-2008 11:09 AM

Well if that isn't the cutest baby in the world I don't know what is!

I would try it without a pattern! It just looks like a little bag knitted in the round with a little decreasing toward the bottom with running the yarn through the last row & pulling tight.

Looks really snuggly- I bet babies like it.

dejamo85 11-12-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply_Renee (Post 1173034)
Well if that isn't the cutest baby in the world I don't know what is!

I would try it without a pattern! It just looks like a little bag knitted in the round with a little decreasing toward the bottom with running the yarn through the last row & pulling tight.

Looks really snuggly- I bet babies like it.

Would you use a mohair or baby alpaca or maybe a blend? Or, would you stick with an acrylic?

Jan in CA 11-12-2008 01:13 PM

That is a cute baby and he/she looks adorable in the cocoon. It does look like a long hat to me, too.

All that said I would NOT put a baby in one of these.. my experience with babies (my own 2) tells me that their diapers often don't hold what they are supposed to and can you imagine trying to take that off.. Gah! :zombie: As cute as this is I think blankets are better or some sort of wrap that has a strap or tie if you want it secure.

Abbily 11-12-2008 01:16 PM

I have to agree with Jan on this one. Perhaps if you made it a tube with a drawstring at the bottom? It's adorable, though. :)

Did anyone else get a giggle out of the "holy" design in the description? Apparently the seller can make it less "holy" if you desire it... ;)

LovelyLinda 11-12-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbily (Post 1173084)
Did anyone else get a giggle out of the "holy" design in the description? Apparently the seller can make it less "holy" if you desire it... ;)

:rofl: That's hilarious. Perhaps that's to help with the leaky diapers. :aww:

suzeeq 11-12-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Would you use a mohair or baby alpaca or maybe a blend? Or, would you stick with an acrylic?
Not mohair, that would be itchy. Stick to a washable yarn anyway, whether wool, acrylic or a blend.

feministmama 11-12-2008 11:35 PM

In the description it sounds like you are just supposed to take photos of yer baby in it. :??