KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knit and Purl stitches (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86031)

crocee 11-26-2008 01:13 AM

Knit and Purl stitches

Do the knit and the Purl stitches look exactly the same if done alone?

I am just learning to knit, I am teaching myself by the videos on the site. So far I have made 2 squares, one in the knit stitch, and one in the purl stitch. I can not tell them apart. Are they supposed to look the same?

My next square will be knit one row, purl the next. Then I will try increasing and decreasing. making a square is the only way I can master the stitch.
Andi

Jan in CA 11-26-2008 02:27 AM

If you knit both sides you get garter stitch and they do look the same on both sides. If you purl both sides you get the same thing.

If you knit one side and purl the other you'll get stockinette stitch.

Does that help?

crocee 11-26-2008 02:46 AM

Thank you so much. I was getting frustrated thinking I was doing another squaer of knit stitches when I was supposed to be doing purl stitches.

I seem to be able to keep my tension more even when purling. The knit square is so tight. I have only been knitting for about 5 days over the past 2 weeks.
Andi

cftwo 11-26-2008 10:33 AM

Give yourself time and practice to get the tension right. That's just one of those things which takes time.

Abbily 11-26-2008 12:10 PM

Knit is the other side of purl, and purl is the other side of knit. :)

crocee 11-26-2008 02:25 PM

These are my 2 squares, well 1 is a square and the other is a rectangle but they are both my first practice pieces. The small one is the knit stitch and the other is the purl stitch. I think my tension is getting much better and more even. Neither sample has been blocked yet. Please critique them if you would.

Jan in CA 11-26-2008 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, that is just garter stitch and they will look the same on both sides. You're doing fine so keep practicing!

Now try combining the knits and purls into the same project. Like k5, p5, k5, p5 or whatever combination you choose.

Important - Each stitch has two sides. One side is a knit and one side is purl...therefore the back of a knit stitch is a purl and the back of a purl is a knit. When you rib you "knit the knits and purl the purls" as they face you. That means when the work is turned and in your left hand ready to start again. If it looks smooth like a V it's a knit so you knit it. If it's bumpy it's a purl so you purl it.

nephthys8 11-26-2008 02:49 PM

I think that, for your first swatches, they are pretty good!! :)

As others have said, you have to practice to get your tension right, but if you keep going, everything will start to look uniform and even. As a side note, it is fairly "normal" for your knit stitches (and thus, the square you did all in knit stitches) to be tighter than your purl stitches. Again, with practice, you will probably find a good, balanced tension between the two.

ETA: I made LOTS of squares when I was learning and, even though they don't end up being anything more than practice, I am SO glad that I did that. It really helped me learn how to identify my stitches and understand the "logic" of knitting.

crocee 11-26-2008 03:04 PM

OK todays project is the K5, P5, K5, P5 that Jan suggested. Since I do the long tail CO the first row will already be knitted. Do I need to do another row of knit or just start the K&P pattern? I also knit Conti will this matter to the pattern?

Abbily 11-26-2008 03:33 PM

Just start the pattern; and no, continental won't make any difference- it's just a different way to get to the same place. :)