KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2009 YEAR OF THE STASH! Join the Stash Train! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86233)

ArtLady1981 12-02-2008 11:12 AM

2009 YEAR OF THE STASH! Join the Stash Train!

HI! :waving:

2009 has arrived, right on time, too! :cheering:

Would you like to make DESTASHING your New Year's Resolution? I heard on the News: the USA is finally officially admitting we are in a RECESSION! :pout:

Maybe your country is also feeling the pinch!

What better reason to DESTASH? We must keep knitting...but must we also keep BUYING & BUYING yarn? Well, yes...but...wouldn't you love to use that beautiful yarn that has been lingering in YARN JAIL for months, maybe years? :teehee:

As of January 1, 2009...our 2008 YEAR OF THE STASH thread will be retiring!

To welcome the 2009 STASH TRAIN...I am hosting the January KH Knitalong! The subject??? You guessed it!!! It will be a seamless STASHGAN project. Whether a small 'lapghan'...or a small 'babyghan'...or a medium-sized 'napghan'...or a large-sized 'manghan'...or a extra-large sized 'bedghan'...USING STASH YARN is the way to go! If you don't have quite enough stash yarn...there are some terrific yarn sales rolling in December! And you might be gifted with a Joann's gift card, too!

Please note that the Janurary KH-Knitalong can be worked on throughout the year! I will be available to assist you, and cheer you on, for the entire year! But let's get rolling in January!

Here is the link to our Seamless Blanket Project KAL.

Why not join us? Put January 1, 2009 in your calendar!

Whether using Stash Yarn for a host of different projects, or using Stash Yarn to create a seamless blanket...just use that Stash for something in 2009! Heaven knows I need to! :teehee:

KnittingNat 12-02-2008 12:20 PM

Count me in:thumbsup:! Not for the stashghan (don't have that many leftovers) but for the Stash Train for sure!!! Lots of yarn just waiting to become something:cheering:

We can definitely feel the recession here too... Our savings are getting smaller and smaller. And the government won't acknowledge it and support the financial system.

Marria 12-06-2008 03:00 PM

I'm in too, but not for the lapghan--why is this? Because I have a second resolution, and that is to finish all my UFOs. Seriously, I have a toddler sweater that just needs a button band and a baby blanket that needs maybe another 6 or 8 inches of knitting. And the size of my stash is ridiculous, even AFTER I gave a bunch of yarn to a wonderful co-worker who crochets and who just retired. So:

1. I will complete my UFOs.
2. I will not purchase any new yarn until I have completed my UFOs and knitted or crocheted at least two more projects using yarn from my existing stash. And then, I will not purchase any more yarn than is required for one and only one project!

Thanks or the suggestion. It's a great idea!

ArtLady1981 12-06-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marria (Post 1181333)
I'm in too, but not for the lapghan--why is this? Because I have a second resolution, and that is to finish all my UFOs. Seriously, I have a toddler sweater that just needs a button band and a baby blanket that needs maybe another 6 or 8 inches of knitting. And the size of my stash is ridiculous, even AFTER I gave a bunch of yarn to a wonderful co-worker who crochets and who just retired. So:

1. I will complete my UFOs.
2. I will not purchase any new yarn until I have completed my UFOs and knitted or crocheted at least two more projects using yarn from my existing stash. And then, I will not purchase any more yarn than is required for one and only one project!

Thanks or the suggestion. It's a great idea!

Way to Go Marria! You Rock!!! :thumbsup:

Marria 12-06-2008 03:45 PM

Thanks! It will definitely help to know there are others trying to de-stash as well. It'll be a de-stashing support group!

MAmaDawn 12-07-2008 11:43 AM

I know that I'm getting more yarn for Christmas, I have about 3 tubs of yarn, but a lot of it is for the afghans I'm working on, so I don't think I have enough for the Stashgan that are in the same weight, but I do want to use up a lot of my stash... So I'm in for this....

I think I'll look over my stash in Rav and see what I want to make....

I do have this one yarn that a ribbon/ladder type and I want to make a simple lacy scarf.... I might just use really big needles for it...

This will be fun! Wonder hos much I can use up..... :think:

ArtLady1981 12-07-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAmaDawn (Post 1181476)
I know that I'm getting more yarn for Christmas, I have about 3 tubs of yarn, but a lot of it is for the afghans I'm working on, so I don't think I have enough for the Stashgan that are in the same weight, but I do want to use up a lot of my stash... So I'm in for this....

I think I'll look over my stash in Rav and see what I want to make....

I do have this one yarn that a ribbon/ladder type and I want to make a simple lacy scarf.... I might just use really big needles for it...

This will be fun! Wonder hos much I can use up..... :think:

Same here. I'm not quite sure if I have enough of this acrylic to finish Celeste's LOG CABIN kid sized stashghan, but I'm gonna start it...and use the yarn til it all gone...if I fall short...I might buy a skein or two of Simply Soft acrylic to finish it. But the main thing is that I will be getting rid of 2,000+ yds of old acrylic from my yarn jail! :thumbsup:

Shandeh 12-07-2008 08:07 PM

I'll definitely be in on this KAL. We're losing some of our income this year, so I won't be able to afford to buy yarn for a while.

MAmaDawn 12-08-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1181542)
Same here. I'm not quite sure if I have enough of this acrylic to finish Celeste's LOG CABIN kid sized stashghan, but I'm gonna start it...and use the yarn til it all gone...if I fall short...I might buy a skein or two of Simply Soft acrylic to finish it. But the main thing is that I will be getting rid of 2,000+ yds of old acrylic from my yarn jail! :thumbsup:

I think I have enough acrylic to make one, but I got it for the oddball baby blankets so I want to save it for that....

Do you all consider yarn that you buy with a project in mind part of your stash? Just wondering what everyone else thinks about it. If I am planning on making it soon or have already started it I don't really look at it as stash, although it's in my stash at Rav... does that make sense?

KnittingNat 12-08-2008 11:02 AM

I do consider it stash, because even if i intended the yarn for a certain project, life gets in a way and i don't always immediately cast on, it can take me a year to get to that certain project. Considering that i try to buy yarn in "sweater amount", it can be a lot of yarn:teehee: