KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How much to charge for a scarf? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86312)

breakfastattiffanys09 12-03-2008 09:48 PM

How much to charge for a scarf?

Hey guys...
My friends all want to buy scarves or pay me to teach them now because our school has no sort of rule against that and it's one thing to keep me warm.

How much should I charge for a lesson and how much should I charge for a perfectly made scarf?

Thanks!
Sara :)

MerigoldinWA 12-04-2008 04:05 AM

It's always hard to decide what to charge for knitting, especially when it is your friends who are the clients. The old rule used to be double the price of the yarn, but some charge 3 times the yarn now. Or whatever you can get. :-)

For lessons I don't know. I know some folks pay a lot for lessons, especially from popular teachers, but I have never charged anything. It is safe to say you aren't going to get rich this way but you could make a little spending money. Private lessons ought to be worth a little more but if you try it as a group, if they each gave you five dollars, you'd come out pretty good. I think it depends a bit on the economic status of your customers. As long as every body is happy, it works.

of troy 12-04-2008 12:59 PM

A fortune! (about $100 )
a hand knit scarf is one of kind, custom made clothing.. it should be priced as such.. if you try to 'compete' price wise with off shore machine made (in mass quantiy) stuff, it won't cover the cost of the yarn. (unless, you too buy pallets of cones of yarn!)

feel bad about charging that much? have them make the check out to your favorite charity...

ArtLady1981 12-05-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA (Post 1180524)
It's always hard to decide what to charge for knitting, especially when it is your friends who are the clients. The old rule used to be double the price of the yarn, but some charge 3 times the yarn now. Or whatever you can get. :-)

For lessons I don't know. I know some folks pay a lot for lessons, especially from popular teachers, but I have never charged anything. It is safe to say you aren't going to get rich this way but you could make a little spending money. Private lessons ought to be worth a little more but if you try it as a group, if they each gave you five dollars, you'd come out pretty good. I think it depends a bit on the economic status of your customers. As long as every body is happy, it works.

Good advice Merigold! :thumbsup: Thanks for the info!

thecanfield 12-05-2008 10:38 AM

I have 2 sugestions:
1: Don't!!! Mixing friends and money usualy isnt the best idea. If you do, be carefull.

2: Stop by Etsy and take a look at the knit goods to get a kinda feel for what people are charging for what. Also, for the people that you dont want to knit a scarf for but are still asking, you can point them there to get one.

heatherg23 12-05-2008 06:10 PM

100.00 for a scarf??? it costs me 5.00 in yarn to make one.

breakfastattiffanys09 12-05-2008 07:42 PM

I did think 100 dollars was a little too much... because the yarn i use is like 2.79 at hobby lobby...my now favorite yarn place because the yarn is cheap, but good quality.

So lessee...if the yarn is 2.79, the needles are 5.99 (bamboo is the BEST), then I guess that rounds out to about 8-9 dollars...
Should i still multiply that by three though?

knitasha 12-05-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherg23 (Post 1181143)
100.00 for a scarf??? it costs me 5.00 in yarn to make one.

Does that mean your time, your talent and your experience are worth nothing?

Plantgoddess+ 12-05-2008 08:22 PM

It is very difficult to sell hand knit items at a price that compensates for your time. If you think about how many hours goes into a scarf over and above the yarn cost you probably couldn't find anyone to buy it.

vaknitter 12-06-2008 12:42 AM

Personally I am opposed to charging my friends for knitted items such as hats, scarves and even baby blankets. I have had many offer to pay me for them when they admire others that I have made and typically I just ask them to cover the yarn. Likewise if a friend wanted to sit and have me teach them to knit that is the ultimate compliment and I would not charge for that either. It's not that I feel like my time or talent is worthless, it's just that I like doing things for my friends and family. I think we all worry too much about money/compensation and it has ruined many a friendship.
If you are going to charge them for materials I am not sure you should include the cost of your needles as those were purchased for the production of your own scarf and are not purchased specifically and only to make one scarf as a hank of yarn would be.