KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   garter stitch that looks like stockinette? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86406)

debonli 12-07-2008 09:02 AM

garter stitch that looks like stockinette?

Hi,

I'm new here. I've been knitting for a few years but am trying to become a better knitter so I'm seeking some advice.

I'm knitting a scarf and the first few rows are knit stitch. I'm using size 9 needles and Malabrigo merino. Even though it's just plain garter stitch though, I have rows that look like stockinette. Is this due to loose tension? I'm wondering if I need to downsize to an 8 to make smaller, more uniform stitches.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Deb on LI

suzeeq 12-07-2008 12:00 PM

The 9s should be fine. Maybe a picture would help, or you might be using the terms garter and stockinette incorrectly. Garter is the result when you knit all rows, stockinette is the result when you alternate knitting a row with purling a row. Knit or purl are the stitches you use to get those results. The back of a knit stitch is a purl, the back of a purl is a knit stitch. If you stretch garter lengthwise, you can see the knit stitch V rows between the purl bump rows. If you knit in stockinette all the stitches on one side will look like Vs and all the sts on the other side will look like bumps.

heatherg23 12-07-2008 01:16 PM

Garter stitch will always look like garter stitch no matter what size your needle is. You will only get stitches that look like stockinette stitch if your doing that stitch.

Garter is knit every row (or purl every row)

Stockinette stitch: Row 1 (rs): Knit every stitch
Row 2 (ws): Purl every stitch
Repeat those 2 rows

VikkiStarre 12-07-2008 10:15 PM

I am new to knitting and think that I may have the same problem! I think that the issue is that we are knitting onto the wrong side. In the instructions and books that I have read it says that once you have knit a row, turn the needle from your right hand into your left hand. I have absolutley no idea what this means, but it may be the root of your problem also!

suzeeq 12-08-2008 01:00 AM

When you get to the end of the row, the left needle is empty and the right needle has all the stitches. Turn the right needle around and put it in your left hand and knit the next row.

debonli 12-08-2008 09:57 AM

thanks everyone

Thank you...I do know the difference between garter and stockinette. I think my tension may be loose sometimes and I'm going to try knitting the garter a little tighter.

I feel like I've opened a can of worms in trying to improve instead of being satisfied with what I can already do but I'm going to press on!

Happy holidays!
Deb on LI

Knit4Pie 12-08-2008 10:24 AM

I think a picture would help, because if you're working flat and knitting every row, I can't see how it would look like stockinette at all. I know I used to get mixed up when knitting in the round, and end up with stockinette when I really wanted garter LOL