KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   same row mixing knit and purl- having problems with multiple orientations of yarn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87232)

MMCGEE80 01-01-2009 07:52 PM

same row mixing knit and purl- having problems with multiple orientations of yarn

When I knit and then purl or knit one, purl two, I have trouble I end up with what looks like two stitches on my needle for when I switched. I'm really frustrated with mixing these stitches. I tried rotating the yarn to other direction so it wouldn't cross over the needle twice, but I just seem to get knots. I have a couple knitting books, but this isn't explained. What I need to know is how do I move from a knit stitch to a purl stitch and vice versa?

reeny 01-01-2009 07:56 PM

Make sure you are passing your yarn between the needles when you move your yarn back from a purl to a knit. If you pull it up and over sometimes it will flip the stitch over and make it look like two loops instead of one.

Marria 01-01-2009 08:23 PM

If you are seeing holes in your knitting you probably are bringing your yarn over the needles instead of between them, as Reeny mentioned.

Jan in CA 01-01-2009 09:21 PM

When you bring the yarn forward between the needles for a purl you need to remember to move it back for the knit stitches. If you leave it forward it creates what is called a 'yarn over'. Yarn overs are valid stitches and they create a little hole. They are often used in lace, for increases, or as button holes.

It just takes practice to remember to move the yarn back.

MMCGEE80 01-04-2009 11:06 PM

I'm still super confused. What I have tried is this. When I knit, I keep my yarn to the right and back with needles parallel. I bring the yarn around from the back between the needles so the yarn is pulled towards me. When I purl, I take my right needle and hook it down through the stitch. My yarn is still to the right, but I bring it in front of the right needle and make a new loop by pulling it from underneath to the top of the stitch. So, I have to switch yarn position between knitting and purling. This is what is messing me up I think. I either get two loops on the needle or yarn going around the outside of the end of my scarf.

suzeeq 01-05-2009 12:03 AM

Look at the Tips page under Basic Stitches for a video on the rib stitch. That should show you how to place your yarn. And do you knit continental or english?

MMCGEE80 01-18-2009 01:38 PM

Thanks!

I watched the videos you suggested in tips and found the combination knitting style to be the way I got my yarn to work properly. I'm still playing around with different combinations of knit and purl, but I have found I like it best when I have at least three purl stitches near each other. Knit two purl two just doesn't look as pretty to me. Thanks again!