KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Book recommendations? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87237)

Marria 01-01-2009 11:07 PM

Book recommendations?

I don't mean knitting books, but fiction (and non-fiction). I particularly enjoy fantasy, sci-fi, other fiction and biographies. About the only types I don't like are romance novels. So if any of you can recommend a book or want to tell me about your favorites, I'd love to hear your suggestions! I'm making my list of books to read this year.

Ingrid 01-02-2009 12:05 AM

The Life of Pi is a great book if you haven't already read it.

Jan in CA 01-02-2009 12:17 AM

Oh boy... I love reading. Do you like mysteries? Funny? Here's my favorite authors -

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum novels (very, very funny)
Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta novels (mystery)
Sue Grafton - Kinsey Millhone novels (mystery)
James Patterson - Women's Murder Club (mysteries)
Christopher Moore - just insanely funny novels!
Robert Crais - Elvis Cole novels (mystery and often funny))

Knitting mysteries/novels authors
Maggie Sefton
Mary Kruger
Debbie Macomber - Blossom Street novels

Random other books I enjoyed
The Secret Life of Bees
The Dogs of Babel
Snowflower and the Secret Fan
The Kite Runner
Water for Elephants
Three Cups of Tea
Seeing Me Naked
The Life of Pi

Marria 01-02-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid (Post 1189597)
The Life of Pi is a great book if you haven't already read it.

Thanks Ingrid! I have read that one and absolutely loved it.

ETA:

Jan--I haven't really read many mysteries, but I have been wanting to. Thanks for the recommendations!

MoniDew 01-02-2009 04:12 AM

actually, we had a thread about a similar topic just recently. You can find it here and see what everybody responded.

miccisue 01-02-2009 08:27 AM

"Nineteen Minutes" and "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult. After reading these, I definitely want to read more of her books.

Alice Hoffman is another writer I like - her novels are a bit quirky (and to me they seem to get "quirkier" the more she writes - her early ones were more straightforward, IMHO) but might be something you'd like.

Nora Roberts tends to lean toward the romance side, but she does have some that have more plot to them. She's also done some trilogy books that wander into the sci-fi realm (not anything like Dune or books like that) like the series that had the book "Morrigan's Cross" in it, and the one that had "The Hollow" in it (both of those trilogies have been completed, so you could read all three in a row instead of having to wait months for the followup installments to be published. I hate it when I have to wait.:teehee: )

Plantgoddess+ 01-02-2009 09:51 AM

Nora Roberts also writes a futuristic police series under the name J D Robb. There are about 15 or so in that series. I have read most of those and thoroughly enjoyed them.

RuthieinMaryland 01-02-2009 09:58 AM

Books, books, books...

Hi, Marria! :waving:

I'm such a book nut I could probably list a gazillion but there are a couple that come to mind immediately that I've read over and over.

Nora Roberts is my all-time favorite author and her 3-book series, "Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods, and Valley of Silence" are among my favorite books. Fantasy, romance, thrills....it's all in there, plus they're among the most beautifully written of her works, IMO. I've read the trilogy several times and have enjoyed it each time.

Also, Nora writes a futuristic series as J.D.Robb and all the titles are ".....in Death". The first in the series (of about 25 or so books) is "Naked in Death". Her characters in this series are absolutely incredible and even though it's futuristic in nature, they're believable! I found myself so caught up, rooting for the heroes and heroines and booing and hissing the bad guys. It's really an amazing body of work, likely to get you hooked in no time!

Another favorite author of mine is David Baldacci, especially his "Camel Club" novels. They're all a very good read, beautifully plotted and characterized.

Vince Flynn writes political thrillers and the first one is "Term Limits", probably my favorite of his although the following books in the series certainly kept me interested!

Hope this helps you compile your list! You're in for a very good year with all the great suggestions in this thread!

Happy reading,

Ruthie :hug:

nephnie 01-02-2009 10:03 AM

my book stash is growing at about the same rate as my yarn stash. school leaves no time for reading:cry:

-Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
-Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
-Dry by Augusten Burroughs
-Eyre Affair (Thursday Next Novel, this is the first in the series) by Jasper Fforde
-Whores on the Hill by Colleen Curran
-How the Light Gets In by M.J. Hyland

LadyFirelyght 01-02-2009 10:25 AM

I enjoy a couple of different series:

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
Shannara by Terry Brooks

I don't read as much as I'd like to. Most of my reading is done online, actually.