KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Does anyone else do this? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87329)

LoriZubie 01-04-2009 03:37 AM

Does anyone else do this?

Hold your left needle between your legs and do all the knitting with your right hand?
I can knit pretty fast and have made many scarves :shrug: but I never noticed the difference until my first time knitting in public.
My left hand is just soooo uncoordinated! I can't hold the yarn and the needle at the same time.
Anyone else have this problem?

WandaT 01-04-2009 10:12 AM

Nope, can't say I've ever seen anyone knit like that before. But whatever works for you! Would love to see you in action though! LOL

RuthieinMaryland 01-04-2009 10:30 AM

Knitting styles...

Hi, Lori! :waving:

Wanda, you're a trip!!! :roflhard: I think we'd all like to see you in action, Lori! That's awesome!

And you're not so far off as you might think. The old-time Aran knitters worked on very long needles (they called them "pins") and they had this little "holder" thingy that tied around their waists with a little wooden (sometimes carved) holder attached where they'd anchor one end of a needle to hold it steady while they knitted with the other one. It's pretty fascinating!

So you're actually following a long-time tradition! But if you want to develop a style that's more "portable" for knitting in public, you could maybe try the English "throwing" method where the yarn is in your right hand, or bite the bullet and practice enough to get comfortable with the continental. When I first switched from English style to continental I was ALL THUMBS! It was so awkward, but I persisted and now I LOVE continental!

Either way, knitting is YOUR art form and you should do what works for you! :thumbsup:

Good luck and happy knitting!

Ruthie :knitting:

lucky_alf2 01-04-2009 01:01 PM

I've not seen that, but when I lived in the UK, esp up in Scotland, I saw ladies that had a long needle they held under their arm (like in your armpit) and then knit with it. Sounds much like what you describe! Hey -- whatever works!

Marria 01-04-2009 01:50 PM

Actually yes-- a few years ago, I broke my ring finger on my left hand, and I couldn't hold my needle right (and no-I wasn't going to let a little thing like a broken finger keep me from knitting! :) ) So I would do that sitting on the couch. I'd put the left needle between my knees to knit. Now that my finger's healed, though, I don't do that any more.

Plantgoddess+ 01-04-2009 02:28 PM

I did something similar. I am self taught and had trouble holding both needles out away from my body. I've since switched to circulars exclusively and find that more comfortable for my wrists.

crazykntter83 01-04-2009 02:30 PM

You think that's weird, I used to hold my needle under my gut, until I switched to circulars lol.

LoriZubie 01-04-2009 05:02 PM

Okay... I took a video. Let's see if you can see it.

feministmama 01-05-2009 12:33 AM

kewl:teehee:

TEMA 01-05-2009 01:32 AM

Hi Lori,
I'm so glad you did the video. Now I can see exactly what it is that you are doing.... It's fabulous!:woohoo:
I mean, honestly, it's fabulous and it makes perfect sense. I should be doing it that way since I'm always dropping a needle from one hand or the other. Your lefthand needle looks so steady that way... it reminds me of a person spinning yarn.
As for not doing it it public... well, you should.... What a great way to get others interested in knitting so they can all become addicts like the rest of us. :teehee:
I think a beginner would have a better time of it if they were taught this way instead of the usual way (which for me was the English method).
I think it's a marvelous way to get tension and therefore gauge.
I would not worry about what others say... this is your style and I think it's quite unique...
You're not weird... you're unique... and 'unique' is a style that everyone wants to copy.
Don't hide your head under a bushel, dear!
TEMA
:knitting: