KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Fastest Knitter in the World! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87760)

ArtLady1981 01-13-2009 06:45 PM

Fastest Knitter in the World!

Here is a link that Karina shared with us over in the January KH-KAL! Thanks Karina! I'm adding it here for all to see!

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Magz11 01-13-2009 07:47 PM

Miriam Tegels is amazing. When she knits, she doesn't tense up or anything. I would love to learn from her.

ArtLady1981 01-13-2009 09:18 PM

I timed my knitting speed: garter stitch with US11 needles using Manos Del Uruguay thick 'n' thin yarn: 30 stitches per minute. :pout:

ArtLady1981 01-13-2009 10:07 PM

Well. The best I could do is 35 stitches per minute, using dk weight yarn with US 5 needles. I didn't bother to cast on 60 stitches! Ha! I cast on 36. Almost made it to the end.

It takes good lighting, and perfect concentration. You have to "see" yourself knitting the next stitch in line before doing it.

I knit "american"...not "continental"...but she could ace me doing American style blind-folded! :pout:

Karina 01-14-2009 04:09 AM

I tried to test myself on my blanket but found my harmonyes gripped the yarn slightly so will try again on my options.

Artlady - what is American? is it like English knitting.

ArtLady1981 01-14-2009 12:26 PM

Oh, yes! Sorry. Maybe I named it incorrectly. Anyhoo, Continental is where you 'pick' the working yarn. And, what I think is called American is where you 'throw' the working yarn. Maybe it is called English.

Ya know, I always get the names confused. Just this past year I finally got it down what continental is. I used to mix up continental and English. I thought they were the same. Maybe they are.

Just a sec. I'm gonna check Amy's video section and see what the cameras are called...the pink and the blue.

Be back shortly!

Yup! You're right! I knit 'English' style. A thrower! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981 01-15-2009 03:00 AM

I can't break 35 stitches in a minute...but who cares?

I don't mind being a slow knitter, more enjoyment actually! More connection with the yarn!

I wonder how many stitches she knits per minute in purl; seed; and cabling and bobbles?

Well, the only thing her speed knitting really helps is endless stocking stitch, which is a knit we all love to wear, but hate to do!

Karina 01-15-2009 04:01 AM

Yes I am thinking that. I can't imagine she knits like that all the time, you may be able to finish a sweater in two hours but you have missed the whole experience. I am still curious of how fast I knit, once I have finished my blanket I will have a go at testing my self. Would have plenty of practice doing the knitted stitch then.

ArtLady1981 01-15-2009 12:38 PM

It was hard to go from the US11 and bulky yarn (on the Log Cabin project) to US5 and dk weight for the speed test.

If you're gonna test yourself, cast on with dk and US5, and knit about 3" first. It really takes some getting used to! :knitting:

Magz11 01-15-2009 07:30 PM

The fastest I would probably be able to knit would be 10 stiches per minute. I have a tension problem when I try to knit fast, which causes me to not knit we'll. I may knit my stiches too tight, because I always have a hard time getting my needle into the stich. I'll test mself one of these days to find out.