KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Where do you get your patterns? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88256)

TrishL1975 01-24-2009 02:53 PM

Where do you get your patterns?

At first this title was going to be "I bought a book!" but then...

So I'm in desperate search for a plain-old pullover pattern. I want something that is slightly cropped, quite fitted, maybe a cable pattern, or something. I *loved* this at KnitPicks, but $20? For a book I can't look through? And Ravelry, while giving me some stupendous feminine patterns, doesn't do fitted or cropped too well, never mind both at once. Or maybe my search abilities are sucking.

So I went to Barnes & Noble, found the book that pattern is in, and... couldn't do it. The picture on the model wasn't what I was thinking of, the ease was a lot bigger than I anticipated, and for the rest of the book... Where am I going to find all of those (luxurious, gorgeous) rare expensive fibers?

So I started slogging through the books and magazines, looking for a pattern I could fall in love with. Nothing. Until.... I found Custom Knits. Not only did I love almost every single pattern in it, it promises to teach me how to design my own. Yay! This will keep me busy for YEARS.....

So where do you get your patterns?

suzeeq 01-24-2009 03:03 PM

You didn't leave a choice for `All of the above'. Mostly I get them from the internet, but a few from books, magazines and I make up a lot of my own, sometimes combining elements from 2 or more patterns. As to the free - I use the library to get books I don't want to buy for a pattern or two, or to look over a book to see if I want to buy it.

globaltraveler 01-24-2009 03:09 PM

Yeah, I do all of them, too.

Jan in CA 01-24-2009 03:43 PM

All of the above. And I'm willing to pay for a pattern if I really want it. :thumbsup:

bambi 01-24-2009 04:24 PM

I get patterns at all the above, too. I pay for some, get some free and get some books. I have the custom knits book, too and I really like it!

I like to be able to really look at pattern construction before I buy b/c I hate seaming! I try to stick with one piece patterns or patterns that can be adapted to one piece. Therefore, I don't buy too many patterns on line b/c they don't always say the type construction.

Bambi

Marria 01-24-2009 09:45 PM

You need to have an "all of the above" option. :)

TrishL1975 01-24-2009 10:31 PM

I know, I know!!! But it won't let you edit the poll, or I'm blind, or something.

Bambi, that's what I like so much about it - there's so much encouragement to modify the patterns and it tells you HOW. How awesome is that? Besides the fact that I LOVE at least a half-dozen of the patterns, and that totally covers the cost of the book in my eyes.

suzeeq 01-24-2009 10:40 PM

I see an edit poll button, but maybe 'cause I'm a mod. It's at the upper right corner of the box the poll is in.

Indygirl 01-24-2009 11:07 PM

Most are from my books. I have bought some through Ravelry. I do have some I found free on the internet. I have an addiction for knitting book's as well as yarn.

lelvsdgs 01-24-2009 11:43 PM

I too use all of the above. I'm happy to pay for a pattern/book if there is something I just love. It's nice to get free patterns but I'm willing to pay for them too.

Great question!