KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Why You Knit (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89822)

Abiah 03-12-2009 04:51 PM

Why You Knit

Hi Everyone!

First of all, brand new to knitting. Tried to learn it a few years ago, but real life got in the way and I stopped. Some odd reason, I found myself driving to Michael's and buying knitting supplies the other day to try again, and this time, it just all clicked! Things that were confusing before, worked this time (Thanks to the knittinghelp.com videos!) :rofl: I really got how to read patterns and how to do things that looked scary like cables!

So I was wondering what makes you all knit...why do you enjoy this not so cheap and time consuming past time?

For me, I have Type 1 diabetes and a very cruddy complication of neropathy of the stomach, that has left me disabled at 25, having to live with my parents and too sick to work. I get BORED easily, because I don't tend to go out too often because my immune system isn't very up to par. So as someone super creative, I really wanted to find a new craft to relax with when I'm feeling icky sicky. Also, my sis sells jewelry and have been inspired to try and learn a craft I too could sell one day...that's a far off dream, but hey...good to have goals!

So why does everyone else knit?

*HUGGLES*:hug:
Alexis

blueygh2 03-12-2009 05:25 PM

I'm returning home each weekend, that makes me 5 hours of train (2,5 one way). On ONE train. Normally I would have to take another one (ride: half an hour) that leaves 5 minutes after we arrive. And we don't always make it on time, so one more hour to wait for the next train. But generally someone picks me up.

Still. When you're taking the train on a regular basis, like I do, reading just won't do. Somewhen you feel sick of it. So I decided to try myself at knitting.

But normally, now, I don't knit on the train anymore.
(Mostly because I'm knitting lace almost all the time, and when you do lace, better not make mistakes. Moreover, I don't like being stared at. Makes my body temperature rise ... and sweaty hands are not good for knitting)

As for your goal, I see so many garments and scarves and things that look hand-made, and they could be hand-made as well. I think that someday you'll sell. I believe in you.

Have you tried crochet?

I like that as well. Good for taking around with you.

Mike 03-12-2009 05:27 PM

I started crochet because of panic disorder/agorophobia.
I started knitting to make stuff other than blankets, crochet doesn't make good guy cloths.

globaltraveler 03-12-2009 05:39 PM

Because I love making things! I especially love making beautiful things and using beautiful tools to do it with. It makes me feel like both a lady of leisure (ha!) and a busy bee at the same time. I love being creative. And I love making little (and big!) gifts for people.

Jan in CA 03-12-2009 05:44 PM

Welcome to Knitting Help!

Good for you for learning to knit! It's funny how it can seem so confusing one day and it all clicks the next. I experienced this last week as I was trying to learn to knit continental. It seemed all of a sudden I just "got it!" :teehee:

I crocheted off and on for 30 yrs and have been knitting for 3.5 yrs. I much preferred the look of the knitted fabric so I decided to learn. I love it and all my other hobbies have gone by the wayside in favor of knitting now. So basically, I knit because I like being creative and enjoy the process of knitting as much as the product. :thumbsup:

sorifes 03-12-2009 05:47 PM

As a Medium once told me, I like to play with sticks.

I like doing it and I feel better when I make people things and they're all happy about it. I guess I do it cause it makes me feel good.

cresmoon 03-12-2009 07:58 PM

My story is actually a lot like yours, Alexis. Have health problems myself both physical and mental health, still living at home at 28 though I can work - I'm having trouble finding a permanent job due to the economy, just suddenly felt the urge to learn to knit one day, and here I am! I do find (unless it's my imagination?) that it helps me cope with my mental health problems: ADD/ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc. And I'm also extremely creative and love arts and crafts, always have (used to be a jewelry make too) and I love making things for myself and friends. So there it is.

Oh, and welcome! :)

knitpurlgurl 03-12-2009 08:37 PM

I learned to knit so that I could teach my autistic son how to knit. Knitting has been known to be very therapeutic and anxiety/stress relieving in spectrum kiddos. But once I got hooked, I kept knitting for my own stress/anxiety relief and a creative outlet. I rarely finish projects. I'm the consumate process knitter. Even though it started out as something for my son, it has turned into the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Now, my son & I knit together. :D

LadyFirelyght 03-12-2009 09:03 PM

I spent 6 months actively searching for a job. Not even pizza places would hire me! I asked my hubby if he'd support me learning to knit with the hopes of being able to sell my goods if/when I got good enough. He said yes, and here we are 6 months later and I'm designing my own stuff, and I have just begun listing items on Etsy. Haven't sold anything yet, but I'm crossing my fingers!

TEMA 03-12-2009 09:40 PM

I used to knit all the time decades ago - got about 40 Buffalo sweaters done - one for every family member but I got tired of knitting those great big raglin sleeves that seemed to take longer than the body of the beast and I quit to begin quilting.
Now it's about 3 decades later and I'm back to knitting.
My health suffered and quilting became impossible but I still wanted to create something so I picked up some needles and started off again with simple scarves and hats.
I found I had completely forgotten everything I ever knew about knitting but I found this site and the wonderful videos and they have helped me immeasureably (not to mention the great advice..):thumbsup:
I'm still on my first big sweater since the Buffalo ones and I've knit it twice (now doing my 3rd try) and enjoying every minute of it.
I discovered that I had the wrong idea about knitting when I used to do it. It's not all about the finished product - its about the process... the meditative feel of repetition, the click of the needles and in the end, the pride of accomplishment.
At least, that's how I see it.
TEMA:knitting: