KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Mmmmmmmmmm Lace (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89934)

blueygh2 03-16-2009 05:38 PM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Mmmmmmmmmm Lace

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh

I got this wonderful Mmmmmmmmmmm (malabrigo) lace yarn.
Problem is.... winding it into a ball.

It just seems to tangle with a passion.... and no way to untangle it, especially when you have one hand occupied with yarn (winding).

I broke it about 3 times now... it's really annoying...

Anyway,... it's a wonderful bright green color :D

(Oh I got some more Mmmmmmmmm lace, but I'm waiting to wind it... maybe when I got more nerve...)

Kattra 03-16-2009 05:50 PM

Us some one elses hands for winding

globaltraveler 03-17-2009 06:31 AM

Find a way to put a bit of tension on the hank as you unwind. A swift is, of course, ideal.

lactosefree 03-18-2009 06:37 PM

Does the store you bought the yarn from have a swift and winder you can use? Or if you bought it online, do you know anyone who'd wind it for you? Malabrigo lace tends to be 'sticky' so to speak, so a swift is really handy.

blueygh2 03-18-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lactosefree (Post 1215406)
Does the store you bought the yarn from have a swift and winder you can use? Or if you bought it online, do you know anyone who'd wind it for you? Malabrigo lace tends to be 'sticky' so to speak, so a swift is really handy.

I DID ask at LYS, but they don't offer that kind of service...

I'd love to have a swift and a winder, or at least a second pair of hands,....

Anarfea 03-19-2009 03:13 PM

Here's what I recently did with some laceweight yarn in hanks that I ordered online

1) Untwisted the hank and laid it on my bed in an oval

2) Untie the little threads holding the hank together--I don't know if all lace weight hanks are tied by mine were and if yours is it might be why it's getting tangled.

3) Make a center pull ball loosley around my hairbrush (sounds crazy, I know, but I tied a piece of fabric around the bristles first and there was a hole at the end of the handle where I tied the end to make sure I wouldn't loose my center pull end) by winding the ball slowly and moving it in circles around the hank (instead of say, just pulling it and keeping the brush in the same place).

4) When I got near the end and it started flipping around, I put my feet through the hank like I would have put my hands to keep some tension on it.

It did get tangled a little but I was able to fix the tangles without breaking the yarn. The whole process took a couple of hours though for about 840 yards of laceweight.

Cynamar 03-20-2009 01:18 PM

I have a winder but not a swift yet. I'm going to get one because I make a mess winding hanks. My LYSs wind but not sale yarn and I order a lot online. The last couple of times I've wound my yarn I folded my legs and wrapped it around my knees. It was a pain in the heinie but I got it wound with no tangles!