KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Fibers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89950)

Kattra 03-16-2009 11:56 PM

Fibers

Okay we all love our yard... Right?

But there are so many kinds and so many different fibers..

So what is your favert one and what is your dream yard fiber to work with you know the one you just can't afford or fined?:knitting:

globaltraveler 03-17-2009 06:29 AM

Cashmere, silk, and merino mixes. Although I just filled up my LYS loyalty card which means a 15% discount on the next purchase, and am seriously considering buying some Handmaiden hand-dyed silk that I've had my eye on but haven't been able to justify the cost for.

Plantgoddess+ 03-17-2009 06:52 AM

My favorite that I've actually been able to work with is camel hair. It is sooo soft. I love the sweater I made with it and wear it skiing when it's very cold. It's dk weight but traps heat wonderfully.

sorifes 03-17-2009 05:45 PM

My dream fiber is Qivuit but it could be because I live in alaska. It's always so soft when I touch it at the native craft fairs and I go ooh it's so nice and I hear it's soo warm. But ooh it's like 80 bucks for 2 oz of lace weight yarn.

Although fibers I've use that I like is the Merino wool. I have some Cashmere but I don't know what to do with it...I'm pondering socks when I get the guts to make them.

OffJumpsJack 03-18-2009 03:15 PM

I Guess I'm just a Bum

I've just re-started crocheting and knitting about a year ago and I just have acrylic yarns and some cotton crochet thread. :oo:

So, does that make me a peasant? :)

Of course, what else is there if you don't like wool? Cotton, silk, and blends?

melmac51 03-18-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack (Post 1215360)
I've just re-started crocheting and knitting about a year ago and I just have acrylic yarns and some cotton crochet thread. :oo:

So, does that make me a peasant? :)

Well, Jack, if you're a peasant, then I'm a peasant too. I splurged $15 whole dollars on a hunk of yarn, and I don't know what to do with it. It intimidates me. :??

As long as it's soft, pretty, and easy to work with; it's good enough for me.

globaltraveler 03-19-2009 08:15 AM

I don't see why anyone should feel apologetic or less something-or-other for liking a less expensive or even a cheap yarn or fiber. You're certainly going to save money over a fiber snob like me. I wouldn't be unhappy if I liked a 100% acrylic big-box-store yarn -- I'd feel pretty smug, in fact, as I could buy a lot more yarn for less! :)

Besides, I'll buy an acrylic yarn when I like it, and have.

Plantgoddess+ 03-19-2009 08:54 AM

Most every yarn is good for some use or other. I was lucky to get the camel hair and hoarded it for over 20 years before deciding that I had found a use for it that was worthy. I generally use lesser expensive yarns. That may be why I love making socks, the financial commitment is minimal and I certainly get a lot of use out of them. I find Knit Pick's and Elann's more my speed. I like getting a pair of socks for $4-$6 a pair.

Kattra 03-20-2009 12:24 AM

OMG you are not going to beleave this! I bot some cotten twine to knit a door mat. And it is nicer to knit with than Red Heart Super Saver.... Now where nere as harsh!

Anarfea 03-21-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack (Post 1215360)

I've seen/heard of yarns spun from alpaca, bamboo, posum fur, musk ox and camel hair as people here are mentioning, bunny fur (angora) hemp, milk, wood pulp, rayon, sea kelp, linnen, and coffee filters to name a few other options.

I personally like alpacca best for the softness, although I've never bought any really pricy luxury fibers like cashmere or qivuit.

Acrylic can vary a lot in quality. I'm knitting my first sweater in acryclic yarn because it was a gift and I figure my first sweater will have tons of mistakes so why spend a fortune on it--but the yarn actually squeaks sometimes it's soo plasticy. But I have seen some acryclic which is soft--I think it's better in wool/acrylic or alpaca/acrylic blends, which I have knit with.

But dang, if I'm not curious about that possum fur.