KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New to knittinghelp, new to knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89961)

justtryingtoknit 03-17-2009 03:55 PM

New to knittinghelp, new to knitting

Hello all,
Well, I'm trying to teach myself to knit. Armed with a couple of books and all of my grandmother's knitting paraphenelia, I made a couple of charity bears and a pillow for my son. I got a bit confident and started the "Little Black Top" from Stitch 'n Bitch.

I'm on the back, up to the the armhole shaping. The next row says to BO 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows. So the question is: Why not BO 5 sts at the end as well? Won't it make it uneven, or am I missing something? I totally get that I have to BO, because I'm starting the armhole on the left side of my body, but what about the right side?

Please be gentle, this is the first time I'm working from a real pattern. And, thank you all in advance for your expertise.

Happy Knitting!

tarrentella 03-17-2009 04:03 PM

If you bind off at the end of the row too it will leave your working yarnin the wrong place to be able to carry on without breaking it and re-attatching it again. Instead you bind off at the start of a row work to the end turn bind off again and the work the rest of the row. It does meen that the shapping for one side starts a row after the other side but it is a small enough difference that it doesnt realy show or alter the look fo the finished piece.

justtryingtoknit 03-17-2009 04:08 PM

Okay, now I totally get it (because in truth, I just went ahead and did a bind off at the end and ended with the last stitch).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(Of course, I'll probably have more questions as I progress with this project).

suzeeq 03-17-2009 10:15 PM

Yeah, whenever you have "what if" or "why can't I" questions, it's really good to go ahead and see for yourself how that turns out. Sometimes you find out it doesn't work, other times you find something that does work. Experience is good.

globaltraveler 03-17-2009 10:48 PM

And welcome to KH -- hope you'll love it as much as the rest of us do!

kaytucker 03-24-2009 11:31 AM

re: Just trying to knit (assembling four sections of a sweater)

Hi, This may not be the best place to post this question, but I will learn. This is my first visit here. I have finished the front, back, and two sleeves of a little girl's sweater. Since I last knit a few sweaters quite a while ago, I have forgotten how to assemble them. I know in the past I used one of the curved yarn needles, but I can't remember how to get started (and my pattern just says to assemble them.) Can someone advise me what kind of stitch to use, or anything else that would be helpful? I am almost to that point.

imrachel 03-24-2009 12:28 PM

Go to the top of this page where it says "view videos". Click on "tips". Go down that page to seaming and look at the "mattress stitch". That should do it!:)

kaytucker 03-31-2009 12:49 PM

Thanks

Thanks to imrachel and other knitters. The advice was helpful and I see lots of other info that I can use!
(Also fairly "new to knitting.")