KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gifts of Knitted Items (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90038)

merri 03-19-2009 08:42 PM

Gifts of Knitted Items

Would anyone care to discuss how you present a gift to someone of a knitted garmet or other item? For instance, do you take a photo of it first? Do you give the recipient one of the ball bands and/or instructions on caring for the item? Do you keep a record of the size needles and swatch of the yarn or? Just wondering what others do, etc. Thanks! From a 'somewhat' newbie here....

Merri

globaltraveler 03-19-2009 09:08 PM

I have always taken pics, and if it's not a casual gift but something special, I give them a ball band or instructions so they can care for it properly, yes. With knitting, I plan to post it on my Rav account so I have the info on needles, yarn, etc.

When i was regularly sewing wedding gowns, I used to buy an extra yard of fabric and lace, and would wait to see if they had a baby while they were still in my ken...and then I'd make a christening gown out of the fabric!

vaknitter 03-19-2009 09:27 PM

I try to remember to take pictures, but typically forget. I've found not too many of the people I gift knitted item too will read the ball band so instead of that I attach a small tag to the item that says something along the lines of "Item handknit for Suzy Q by Suzy T and is hand washable only."

I have grand plans of being so organized as to keep pictures, a swatch, notes etc and put it all in a page protector in a notebook.

imrachel 03-19-2009 11:02 PM

A knitter in my LYS group writes out the washing instructions on a 3 X 5 card, punches 2 holes in the card, and then ties a piece of the yarn to it. She says she does it because people lose the ball bands, and this way they can just put it in a drawer in their laundry room or in their dresser or where ever. She said the reason for the yarn tie is so they know which item the instructions belong to if she's knitted several things for them over the years. I think that's very clever!

Mirl56 03-20-2009 06:20 AM

I'm not good at all at keeping records of what I've made - no pics, no notes, nada. Sometimes I regret I'm so lazy in this regard, but not so much that I change my ways.

Sometimes with a gift I'll again get lazy and just give the ball band, but most often I'll make a 'tag' with the washing directions on it and maybe cut/paste the photo from the pattern so they can see it being worn/used - just type it up in Word, formated so I can cut it out and tie it the item.

OffJumpsJack 03-20-2009 11:20 AM

Having only worked in acrylic yarns for hats and scarves, I get off easy on this detail. :shrug:

Ah, the simple things in life. :)

Plantgoddess+ 03-20-2009 11:25 AM

I generally forget to take pictures and am not good about written care instructions so I give verbal. I mainly gift socks so I use machine washable yarn to make it easy for the recipients.

kellee0302 03-20-2009 12:10 PM

Normally, the people I knit for are family members. So after they open the gift I tell them how to care for it, it's usually my mom or my sister and they knit also, so it's not a big deal. For others or children I use washable and dryable so there isn't a problem.

LadyFirelyght 03-20-2009 01:00 PM

I made up some tags with care instructions in Word and printed them out. Cut them out, punched a hole in the corner, and tie it to the knitted item with the same yarn as I made it with.

Anarfea 03-21-2009 01:28 PM

I think Superwash Merino was invented for gift knitting.

But I really wish I had thought to make some kind of tag/speak to my boyfriend's mother about the alpaca scarf I knit him 2 Christmases ago. Since she's a knitter/crocheter, I thought she would know better than to put it in the washing machine, but...

He still wears the scarf. And it's still really soft. But the texture pattern I worked so hard on is unreadable now, and the colors muddied. So next time, I will make little tags with the care instructions like you guys said.