KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitting for a pregnant friend (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90122)

craftymomma 03-23-2009 10:39 AM

Knitting for a pregnant friend

I have a friend that lives in another state and is expecting girl #2 in May. I have been planning to knit her baby booties, a hat and sweater since the moment I heard she was pregnant, I actually already had the hat and booties done long ago and was starting the sweater this week.. well I was looking around on her facebook page at some of her shower pics and I guess one of her other friends or a grandma or someone also knits, and she had a bunch of knitted things given to her as gifts at one of her showers.. Sooooo, of course now I am a bit dissapointed ( I wanted to be the one to give her all the knitted goodness!!), I dont want to give her something she already has a lot of, but have been looking forward to sending these to her... SHould I go ahead and send them, or bite the bullet and run out and buy some premade outfits and such??

Thanks in advance!!
ANgie

kellyh57 03-23-2009 10:44 AM

I had almost the same experience. I knit a friend a baby blanket. At the shower, her mom brought like 6 knitted and crocheted blankets with matching sweaters. I was so proud of my little blanket until she started in on her mom's stuff. I felt like such a dork only knitting ONE blanket. I never did finish the sweater.

I would go ahead and give the stuff you've finished and keep on making whatever you want. One can never have too much knitted goodness, right? The other stuff may be different sizes and colors too. At least she knows how to care for knitted items and hopefully won't feel it's to precious to use!

heathert 03-23-2009 11:11 AM

Knit her something that the baby can wear in cooler weather. I got a bajillion things that I could dress the baby in the 1st three months (when I really didn't want to go anywhere) and then the clothing supply dwindled because they were too small. A larger knit hat or even some mittens (if she lives north). Sweaters in a larger size (like 12 months) will be very welcome come next Feb/March. I love pulling out 'new' things that people got as gifts for her long ago.

Even a nice fall dress for Thanksgiving - won't she look cute?

MAmaDawn 03-23-2009 11:27 AM

I agree, send it. And make her more if that's what you want to knit. I'm sure no matter what you make she will love it.

lelvsdgs 03-23-2009 11:20 PM

Oh, I think you should definitely send it! You made it for her so you should send it... she'll love it!

TEMA 03-24-2009 12:07 AM

I bet she doesn't have one of those wonderful Pea Pod Cozies...
I'm dying to knit one of those... so different and so cosy. I can't say I've ever actually seen a baby in one - except for the picture online.
TEMA :knitting:

WIP - 1 huge horrible sock
1 cutie pie baby sweater... grey and blue

tarrentella 03-24-2009 10:35 AM

Well are you making the gifts for her or for yourself to get teh thank yous and apreciation?

Babies need lots of clothing. They are not known for being impecably clean. and they grow like bejesus. so all thsoe cute tiny little things will have to be put in the cupboard soon anyway and mum will be left wondering what to dress the little thing in.
Give the gifts, if she is a friend she will apreiate them no matter how many she already has, but maybe think about making somthing a little larger or more unusual.

prettylittlelie 03-24-2009 02:15 PM

Send them!

Just 'cause she got some other knit stuff
doesn't mean she won't totally love yours

Besides

The premade stuff you end up getting doubles of everything anyways.

stvteri88 03-24-2009 04:58 PM

Definately send it! Your gift will be just as appreciated! :-)

ArtLady1981 03-24-2009 05:17 PM

Send them!

You are obviously a loving person, who knits from her heart! :heart:
Knit from your heart:heart:, send them with love:heart:, and she will love you :heart: for it!

I couldn't have enough knitted things!
And everyone knows the Gramma is crazy in love and was knitting from the time of the ultrasound! You can never outdo the Gramma! :teehee: And who'd wanna try? :teehee: (Can you tell, I'm a Gramma, a crazy in love Gramma!)

I agree with others who said send the small items that you've already made, but quickly knit up a size 2T sweater to send with them. A simple style with beautiful yarn and adorable buttons as the eyecatcher.

I gave a little set of sweaters to a close friend, but only made one in newborn size. The largest one was 2T.

She's since told me she was so glad to have something for him at size 2T cuz she was OUT OF CLOTHES!

No one gives sizes 2T! 3T, or 4T!