KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   So disappointed ... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90340)

WandaT 03-30-2009 10:28 PM

So disappointed ...

I thought I could call this project finished. After hand washing and tumble drying on low, I pulled my baby blanket out and the border looks like crap. I made the body with regular old baby acrylic in a "knit 3, slip 1" rib. It's so soft and squishy and wonderful. But my grand baby is a girl, so I wanted to make it feminine by adding a ruffle or scalloped border. Since it's white, I thought I'd see what I could find in a soft color and different texture. Browsing Michael's poorly stocked shelves I saw some beautiful Moda Dea Dream on clearance for $2.99. I bought 4 balls since I needed to double strand with it. This was Saturday. After playing with several different ideas, I decided on the standard crochet ruffle. It didn't take long to realize I was going to need more yarn. Sunday I went back and bought 2 more balls. Then would you believe with 2/3 of one side left I still ran out of yarn? So I went back today and bought 2 more balls. That's 8 balls at $3 = $24 ... for the border! I only spent $14 on the body! BUT it's for my first grand baby, so all is good. I wanted it special, ya know?

So I came home this afternoon and finished it. I was so excited to wash and dry it so I could take pics and call that particular project done. (I have so many more to get done before the shower on 4/25.) This stuff is nylon and acrylic - nothing special. I am going to have to rip the entire border out and start all over. There is no way I can give this to anyone. I haven't taken pics of it yet, but I plan to. No one could believe how bad this stuff looks. The body is wonderfully soft and washed and dried beautifully. It's going to take me way longer to rip out this ruffle than it did to put it in. You know how fuzzy stuff likes to tangle when you're trying to frog it. I just want to cry. I'm not, but I want to. I'm so frustrated and disappointed. I plan to write the company and let them know what this yarn did and that I will never buy it again. I have just been to sick tonight to deal with it and wanted to share with friends who would understand. :(

dustinac 03-30-2009 10:35 PM

:hug:I'm sorry to read that, it's so disappointing when that happens... can you maybe get the border wet and fluff it up a bit? :think:

imrachel 03-30-2009 10:35 PM

:hair: :!!!: :grrr: :wall: :mad: :cry:
See, I understand!!!

Oh, how awful. I would call them and tell them exactly what happened and ask for your money back and let them know that if you ever have a problem with their yarns again, they can certainly expect to-- well, okay, you don't want the FBI showing up at your door. But I would certainly make them feel bad:mrgreen: .

:hug: :hug: :hug:

suzeeq 03-30-2009 11:21 PM

Well, it might not be 'bad' yarn. Is the able to be put in the dryer?

WandaT 03-31-2009 06:44 AM

Getting it wet is what caused the problem, and I did throw it in the dryer on low for about 20 min and pulled it out to air dry while it was still damp. The lable on the Dream says to lay flat to dry ... ? Don't know why since it's 1/2 acrylic and 1/2 nylon. Just looked at it this morning and it doesn't look any better. :(

margz3 03-31-2009 08:43 AM

:waah: :hug: That is SO frustrating Wanda! I just made a stuffed bunny with that yarn.....hopefully she won't need to be washed! (It was for my mom lol)

I hope that your ripping out isn't too much of a PITA!

Lighting57 03-31-2009 02:54 PM

I'm so frustrated and disappointed. I plan to write the company and let them know what this yarn did and that I will never buy it again.

Along with a letter, I would send them the border, a copy of the receipts, and I'd ask for a refund. Let us know what results you get. You might want to show the store how turned out and maybe they will quit carrying it.

saracidaltendencies 03-31-2009 02:59 PM

:hug::hug:

newamy 03-31-2009 03:08 PM

That sounds terrible. You're lucky you didn't knit the entire blanket out of that yarn. It least the main portion still is in good shape.

WandaT 03-31-2009 03:09 PM

I just read a thread on ravelry where someone else made a wrap with Dream and after washing it she said it looks like an old animal. It was supposed to be a gift for her mom - needless to say, she didn't give it to her. Apparently, this is just what this yarn does. It feels wonderful and knits up so soft and yummy. Just don't wash it! UGH!