KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitting Ediquitte (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90361)

luvmykid28 03-31-2009 02:45 PM

Knitting Ediquitte

Is it ok to ask a knitter that has yarn you need if he/she will sell or trade it. I need 1 more skein of Joanns Sensations TruBoo, color green. I have checked stores and online only to find that my color is sold out. I found a few skeins on Rav and don't want to step on anyone's toes. It wouldn't be a big deal except that I already started the project and have almost used up what I have. The pattern said it only took 100 grams and that is what my skein says it weighs. I'm only about 1/2 finished. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Jan in CA 03-31-2009 02:52 PM

Of course not. They can say no if they need it for something else.

If you can't get any can you use another color or type yarn to finish?

dairywife 03-31-2009 02:53 PM

If I were the person you ask I would not be offended. It is simply a question.

Kattra 03-31-2009 07:46 PM

sounds like a good reson to trade to me!

imrachel 03-31-2009 09:15 PM

Absolutely, it's a fine question to ask! I mean, I assume you're not going to say, "hey, give me a skein of your yarn or I'll flatten all your tires.":) But a nice, "I'm in desperate need of 1 more skein of TruBoo and everyone's sold out, would you be interested in selling me one?" is very appropriate, and sometimes even appreciated. You never know what someone is trying to get rid of!

suzeeq 03-31-2009 09:29 PM

Have you tried posting on the Buy/Sell/Swap forum?

cristina61 04-01-2009 12:25 AM

I understand how you might feel a little awkward about it, but fear not! Most folks on Ravelry are sympathetic to such problems and will help if they can.

I had a very similar situation to yours with a sweater. I was positive I had plenty of yarn -- until I got about halfway through and then realized I was going to run just a little short. I found two people on Ravelry who had the exact yarn I needed (even in the same dye lot!) and sent them each a PM asking if they could spare any and letting them know I'd be happy to pay.

They both responded very kindly and offered me their leftover yarn. I ended up getting just the yarn I needed, and the wonderful person who sent it to me refused money! Thanks to her I was able to finish my sweater.

ArtLady1981 04-01-2009 01:54 AM

I've never offered any yarn for sale at Rav, but a few folks have approached me about selling some of my yarn. I have done so more than a few times, with no offense taken on my part, and our transactions have been seamless. Win-Win.

Go for it!

Just cuz it isn't listed as 'FOR SALE' doesn't mean they won't sell it...it might be like me: I just didn't think to list it for sale. I'd never have dreamed anyone would contact me.

kellyh57 04-01-2009 09:19 AM

I think there's also a couple of forums on Ravelry that you can ask for yarn. Do an ISO thread and put what you need. Someone may have it and not have listed it yet too.

GinnyG 04-01-2009 12:12 PM

Interesting that you brought up that question. Within the last couple months I finally got around getting my yarn stashed on Ravelry. A couple unexpected things happened.

First, I have received multiple requests buying yarn I have stashed but not listed as sell/trade. I don't really mind but it had never occurred to me that people would do that. I understand the frustration of desperately needing yarn to finish a project and would be glad to help if I can.

BUT, two things have happened that bothered me. In one case I went to a great deal of trouble to have the yarn weighed to determine the cost of postage and researching on line to come up with a fair price (I was asking slightly more than half what the retail was) only to have the person who approached me say they had found the yarn elsewhere. It was time out of my busy schedule for something that wasn't my idea.

The second is that I have received an occasional offer to buy yarn at a price that is significantly less than I paid for it. If I were trying to sell yarn and had listed it for trade or sale then I would be open to "bartering". But I love my stash and value each skein (corney I know) and if someone is desperate for something I have I don't think they should be trying to get it at rock bottom prices.

So I would say, if someone has yarn you truly need don't hesitate to ask but be sincere in your offer and don't expect them to slash prices.