KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   WHY Is Sock Yarn SO Tempting??????? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90393)

Arielluria 04-01-2009 01:21 PM

WHY Is Sock Yarn SO Tempting???????

Why is it that sock yarn is SO tempting???????? Is it because it takes a small amount (a couple of skeins) to enhance stash and have enough for an FO? I can't figure it out. I live in hot weather, love my handmade socks, but most might be too hot for summer here, yet I can pass up all other yarn sales except sock yarn. Even though I have a BIN full of it, I simply HAD to get a couple of the Deborah Norvilles, even though I have yet to try my Paton's elastic, Red Heart Aloe, bamboo, etc., etc., etc.
:flirt:

Jan in CA 04-01-2009 01:41 PM

I know!! However, I can't wear hand made socks (too thick for my fat feet) so I manage to avoid it. Now if they made it in worsted weight I'd be in trouble.. :lol:

Arielluria 04-01-2009 01:56 PM

You just need bigger shoes! Like clogs or something! ;)

Jan in CA 04-01-2009 02:06 PM

I'm not a clog person. I'm more of a sandals and tennis shoes person. And no, I refuse to wear socks with sandals. A true southern Californian won't wear socks with sandals. :lol: I use them for house or bed socks.

Simply_Renee 04-01-2009 02:31 PM

I don't know, but it is an affliction!

They tried to warn me. I wanted to try knitting socks because people seemed to think they were hard, and I want to learn everything.

Now I just keep making them- these self patterned yarns are so fun to knit up!

Mirl56 04-01-2009 02:52 PM

OMG, I know just what you mean! It is so hard to walk past sock yarn. And now that Joanns/AC Moore have started carrying a few brands, I just have to stay out. I've already got more sock yarn then one person should have.

My last finish (and wearing today!) my Mazey corn socks. Half way thru a pair w/Red Heart Aloe. I want so to buy some Patons elastic, but I better check my stash to make sure I don't have some already. And the alpaca heal/toe from the stash is screaming at me...

MAmaDawn 04-01-2009 03:01 PM

Just sock yarn? For me it's just about ALL yarn... and the new advertiser here isn't helping any... especially with the fact that they sell in bulk... That's not good for stash busting... :roflhard:

mathwizard 04-01-2009 03:29 PM

sock yarn

There are all kinds of sock:cheering: yarn. I just got some at my LYS which is superfine merino and it is really soft and silky but it isn't thick. I also got some wool with tercel which is really thin and very silky feeling. I wear thinner socks in the summer on cooler days. I love sandals but I still like socks and my feet are fatish.

Crycket 04-02-2009 12:09 AM

I am addicted to sock yarn...and right now I am on a sock knitting kick! I don't know what it is...for me it is the teeny needles with the tiny yarn...

Plus...of all the things I knit...I get the most milage out of the socks I knit....

Plantgoddess+ 04-02-2009 11:59 AM

I looove sock yarn. I have a hard time even looking at heavier weights of yarn. I want to knit things that I and people I knit for will wear. I find even sweaters of worsted weight to be too warm even in the snow. It's also nice to buy enough yarn for a project with almost pocket change. The patterns are endless, but mostly all gorgeous. Socks are easier to shape to fit various people than most other pieces of clothing. I love wearing my handmade socks. Most of my friends and family's feet are not too far away in size from mine so I keep a couple of pair unworn in my sock drawer for a quick gift idea.
If you want to keep buying sock yarn but not use it you can send it to me. I'll send you back some finished socks in exchange.