KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Are my stitches misbehaving or just uptight?/Cabling (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90557)

crocee 04-07-2009 04:27 PM

Are my stitches misbehaving or just uptight?/Cabling

I just watched a cabling video where you make cables without a cable needle since I am having a hard time finding one locally. The knitter teaching the video segment slipped two stitches off the needle and knitted the next two in line. She then went back and picked up those two slipped stitched and knitted them to make the cable. My question is concerning those two slipped stitches. They just seemed to sit there and wait their turn to be replaced on the needle in their new position. My stitches do not behave this way. They are unruly and want to visit the neighbors below. Once they disappear I would be hard pressed to find them without frogging the row I was working on, down to the row below. Is this because my stitches are too uptight and I have not taught them to behave? OR do cables behave differently as a rule?
Andi

Mirl56 04-07-2009 04:58 PM

when I cable w/out a needle, I don't like to leave them flopping loose for long. I usually slide the next 2 stitches onto the right hand needle, slide the 2 loose ones back on the left, then the 2 on the right needle back to the left needle, then knit them all.

As far as not being able to find a cable needle, nearly anything will work. Do you have a safety pin, a spare dbl pt needle, a toothpick, a bic pen (w/out the ink cartridge), plastic coffee stirer, plastic yarn sewing needle, bent paperclip - I've used any of these in a pinch for a cable needle.

Simply_Renee 04-07-2009 04:59 PM

LOL- it depends on the yarn.

If your yarn is being a pain, don't wait for a cable needle- try a bobby pin, coffee stirrer, smooth stick, fat yarn needle, just McGuyver it!

Obviously, Marilyn & I are in cahoots with this. I just read her post.

ETA: :mrgreen:

crocee 04-07-2009 05:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have most of the "MAcGyver" implements near my knitting so this will work just fine. Now I have a use for all those safety pins :). The yarn isn't a pain, or if it is I just haven't learned that it is at this point.

IF you can use all these things to take the place of a cable needle, whats the use of having one? What exactly does the cable needle do?
Andi

Simply_Renee 04-07-2009 05:25 PM

All a cable needle does is hold the stitches so they don't unravel while you're working them. Sometimes cable needles are grooved or shaped with a bump so that the yarn stays on there better. They can also be easier to knit directly off of (it's easier to slip the stitches back to the left hand needle for working them with some of your improvised needles, like a flimsy coffee stirrer. I like things I can knit right off of because it's faster.)

suzeeq 04-07-2009 10:16 PM

You don't actually have to have "cable needles". You can use a dpn, crochet hook, opened paper clip... anything short and straight to hold those sts for a few seconds.