KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I think we should all boycott Vogue Knitting. . . (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90592)

imrachel 04-08-2009 06:15 PM

I think we should all boycott Vogue Knitting. . .

I just got my spring issue of Vogue Knitting in the mail. Many of the patterns don't include all of the charts, and some don't even include instructions for all sizes! This is all available on the web, but that's not why I buy the magazine-- to then have to go on-line for the rest of it?! What if I decide to make something 10 years from now and they no longer have it posted, or even possibly have gone out of business? Yes, it would take another couple of pages, but I would be willing to pay an extra $1 per issue for that priviledge. This has left me fuming. :grrr:

HappyToast14 04-08-2009 06:19 PM

I agree! The magazine only provides "teaser" patterns which are unuseful and stupid. If i wanted to go online for a pattern I wouldn't have bought the darned magazine! My grandmother subscribes so she can look atpatterns without internet acess. I helped her cancel her subscription last month and I was wondering which magazines would be a good replacement?

Jan in CA 04-08-2009 06:22 PM

Wow. That's not a good way to run a business. Not everyone is on the computer!

I love Interweave Knits and I'd suggest that as a replacement! :thumbsup:

Quiltlady 04-08-2009 06:22 PM

Sign of the times...

I've noticed that a lot of magazines are now offering "online magazines". I want to hold the magazine in my hot little hands I don't want to sit in front of the computer more than I do already and "read" my magazines that way.
So I wonder if we are slowly being weaned from paper magazines and having us look for the patterns online is the way to eventually get us to their website.

Mike 04-08-2009 07:38 PM

I'd boycott them for you but as a male there are never any wearable male patterns out of the extremely rare times there are ever any male patterns so I guess I'm already boycotting.

I haven't even bothered sending back the free issue stickers.

knit4u 04-09-2009 01:07 PM

Hi Fellow Knitters,
I agree with you on the Vogue Knitting magazine not having a range of sizes and charts. I do subscribe to Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits, which is by far a wonderful knitting magazine. Since I am a veteran knitting article collector from the 70's, 80's and 90's, I have noticed over the years, most of the currentknitting magazines are chock full of yarn company ads, which are fine. But, I like the ones that offer a free on-line pattern..one you can print and file for future use. There is another knitting magazine that I'm thinking about subscribing to. Knit n' Style..any thoughts on that one?
For those of you who can relate to the days when Good Housekeeping, Family Circle and Women's Day printed issues with articles of beautiful sweaters, hats, scravres, etc and offered an opportunity to send away for about $2.50 the instructions..don't you just miss them! From time to time I refer to some of those great articles.
Have a happy knitting day!
Veronica

heatherg23 04-09-2009 01:19 PM

I also get the magazine but they're to complicated for me to do anyways. But I know exactly what you mean about doing the pattern in the future and not having what you need to complete it.

Jan in CA 04-09-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knit4u (Post 1221436)
But, I like the ones that offer a free on-line pattern..one you can print and file for future use.

Interweave Knits always has a free online pattern or two. :thumbsup:

http://www.interweaveknits.com/freepatterns/

woolncathairs 04-09-2009 02:03 PM

I fully agree with everyone here.
Nothing picks up a bad day for me like ending work and finding I have a knitting mag in the day's mail I work on a computer all day and sure don't want to sit BACK down to one and hunt through an online to find a pattern.

Has anyone let Vogue know how we feel about their shoddy work?

joellen

sakura-panda 04-09-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiltlady (Post 1221214)
So I wonder if we are slowly being weaned from paper magazines and having us look for the patterns online is the way to eventually get us to their website.

I think it is more that because they are trying to reduce costs by not having to print so many pages. :shrug:

Several newspapers around here have switched to four or five day printings to save on costs and I have heard about a couple of magazines that have switched to online only for the same reason.