KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Gardening... the "Flower" bug has bitten! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90619)

mwhite 04-09-2009 06:55 PM

Gardening... the "Flower" bug has bitten!

MMMMmmmmm I found a gorgeous, peach Hibiscus today and snatched it up. It's now planted in my front flower bed with tons of buds just waiting to bloom! :woohoo:

So, now rifling through all my seeds and found Columbine, Impatiens, more Hibiscus, Candy lilies, Cannas, Sunflowers, Stella D'Ora Daylilies.....OMG! :woot: Gotta go dig! Spring is finally here, the birds are singing....We have a Whipporwil and there's a wild Peacock living in the woods beside us. And tomorrow is Good Friday....time to plant!:cheering:

HollyP 04-09-2009 07:32 PM

I hear you! I have some Cannas I got today that I need to find a place for - plant impulse buys are a little harder than yarn to deal with. I just love Cannas though! I was blown away by a Loripetalum that I was pretty sure was dying after being hit by a falling tree last fall to suddenly burst into full bloom last week. I just love spring!!

mwhite 04-09-2009 07:51 PM

Don't you love "gardening" surprises? I had a Clematis that I dug up when we moved two years ago and I thought surely it was gone from the cold and moving abuse but it's out there climbing again!!! Now if I can just get the "diggerdog", Buckeroo, to leave my plantings alone! Grrrrr! We have a chat every morning..."Now, be a good boy and don't be diggerdog today, PLEASE!!! Every afternoon there's a new "nest" about the size of Buck, in the front flowerbed where he's kept cool....

cheley 04-09-2009 07:57 PM

:twisted: I'm envious....I CAN NOT PLANT ANYTHING until May...I am in zone 5 and we still can get a good frost...Oh, but I did winter-over my dahlias in my neighbors basement (hopefully they didn't rot) and I can always "buy" impatients at the greenhouse (as established plants)..etc etc..so go ahead, plant all you want see if I care:waah: :waah:

mwhite 04-09-2009 08:03 PM

Oh, Poor baby, I would just hate that, too! A friend in Wisconsin has the same problem. I would just have to demand a greenhouse or a sunroom or something! We are in zone 7 but lived in Charleston(zone 9) for about 3 years....OMG, you could garden constantly there. Mandevillas and Bouganvillia (not sure if that's spelled right) are perennials there.

cheley 04-10-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhite (Post 1221581)
Oh, Poor baby, I would just hate that, too! A friend in Wisconsin has the same problem. I would just have to demand a greenhouse or a sunroom or something! We are in zone 7 but lived in Charleston(zone 9) for about 3 years....OMG, you could garden constantly there. Mandevillas and Bouganvillia (not sure if that's spelled right) are perennials there.

What..the perennials are what?? OMG!! we have to buy those (already grown and staked in pots) enjoy for a few months, then (they are not hardy here) watch as they slowly perish outside (don't know if you can grow em indoors)Right now my daffs and tulips are poking up (that's about it) oh yea and the daylillies, bearded iris too....gotta wait till middle of May to see anything bloom...:pout: BTW..what's a "diggerdog"?

mwhite 04-10-2009 09:14 AM

Our daffs and hyacinths are just about done blooming. The lilies and iris are blooming now. Peonies and Hostas are putting out foliage. I do have to winter my mandevillas in the garage and yes, with a sunroom or greenhouse, they'll grow year round. I grow alot of tropicals so they have to be wintered as well.

What is a diggerdog? Buck is about 1-1/2 years old, part labrador, weighs 90 lbs and loves to dig! He used to chew up everything, trailer connectors on the back of trucks, wet shoes left on the porch, plastic flowerpots and has been known to drag large pieces of firewood to his "chew" area. Now he just digs, runs the cats and somehow manages to distribute tiny little black hairs all over my bedroom floor. I love him to pieces but he's a Diggerdog.

cheley 04-10-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhite (Post 1221706)
Our daffs and hyacinths are just about done blooming. The lilies and iris are blooming now. Peonies and Hostas are putting out foliage. I do have to winter my mandevillas in the garage and yes, with a sunroom or greenhouse, they'll grow year round. I grow alot of tropicals so they have to be wintered as well.

What is a diggerdog? Buck is about 1-1/2 years old, part labrador, weighs 90 lbs and loves to dig! He used to chew up everything, trailer connectors on the back of trucks, wet shoes left on the porch, plastic flowerpots and has been known to drag large pieces of firewood to his "chew" area. Now he just digs, runs the cats and somehow manages to distribute tiny little black hairs all over my bedroom floor. I love him to pieces but he's a Diggerdog.

:roflhard: The "nest" part threw me!!!! Well, don't worry, you probably only have a "few" more years till he "grows up":thumbsup: BTW you plant Canna from seed???? OMG

mwhite 04-10-2009 09:24 AM

My older sister lives in Cincinnati, where are you?

cheley 04-10-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhite (Post 1221708)
My older sister lives in Cincinnati, where are you?

I am 25 mi west of Cleveland....Here's a pic of one of my beds..take a look!!!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/...9f969b2e8c.jpg and please don't cry:woot: