KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   5 1/2 sts and 8 rows = 4 inches? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90632)

DGIDDENST 04-10-2009 03:50 PM

5 1/2 sts and 8 rows = 4 inches?

Hi - I am a fairly new knitter and I am tried of knitting scarves - I found a pattern for a tank top that looks really easy that I want to try, but I can not figure out how to read the guage - I have watched videos,etc. but most of those talk about 2 inches or per inch - I am not sure what this 5 1/2 st and 8 rows = 4 inches means.... my guess is.... 5 1/2 over 2 inches across and 4 rows over 2 inches - will give you 4 inches??? but if that were the case then why wouldn't they just say over 2 inches???? see how confused I am???

suzeeq 04-10-2009 04:05 PM

Nope, it is 5 sts over 4" AND 8 rows per 4". Sounds like bulky yarn and large needles to me, like size 15 or 17 or maybe 19.

DGIDDENST 04-10-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1221797)
Nope, it is 5 sts over 4" AND 8 rows per 4". Sounds like bulky yarn and large needles to me, like size 15 or 17 or maybe 19.

THANK YOU.... So... now I have another question - can I change the yarn? I have some yarn that is NOT as bulky.. can I double or triple it to get the quage? or can I change needle sizes?

suzeeq 04-10-2009 05:53 PM

If you double it, it might work, you'd have to try it on the needle size in the pattern. Which pattern is it?

DGIDDENST 04-10-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1221823)
If you double it, it might work, you'd have to try it on the needle size in the pattern. Which pattern is it?

It's a pattern out of a book called, Ready Set Knit - Fringed Top (name of pattern) calls for size 19 - or size to obtain gauge - I've been knitting gauages now for 3 days and I'm ready to start or switch to another pattern. I have switched from Yarn Bee - ITALIA - florentine (on the label it says use 8mm/US size 110 to Yarn Bee SOFT ILLUSION-Super Bulky - sumptous (label says 15mm US 19). The 2 lgst. needles I have are US 15 and US 17 - still to 4" I am getting alot more stitches than 5 1/2 - seems if you used needles much larger it would be to holey to wear in public?? Right now knitting on size 17 (stockinette st) looks like I am going to get about 7 st = 4 inches and 10 rows over 4 inches - maybe I can double this super bulky and get what I want? I really want this to be wearable and am in South Georgia where it gets REALLY hot - I am not opposed to switching to another pattern - was about to start looking when I saw this post. Please give me some input, and I hope I answered what you asked me!

suzeeq 04-10-2009 07:12 PM

Don't double the super bulky, it would be way too stiff and you'd have about 4 sts to 4" that way. You could take some worsted and double it and you might get close to the gauge for the pattern on 17s.

DGIDDENST 04-10-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1221841)
Don't double the super bulky, it would be way too stiff and you'd have about 4 sts to 4" that way. You could take some worsted and double it and you might get close to the gauge for the pattern on 17s.

Ahhhh I will try that!! THANK YOU!!