KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ? About Knit Picks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90676)

cheley 04-12-2009 08:53 AM

? About Knit Picks

Hi everyone and Happy Easter:hug: Since (Knit Picks) are not open today (yea I know it's Easter but I am looking thru my catalogue) I am in search of a size 13- 24" or 32" circ in Harmony Wood...I do not see these "larger" sizes listed..Do they carry em?:heart:

imrachel 04-12-2009 09:07 AM

Yup-- go here: http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Int...PNDETipWD.html

and you get the 13" tips at the bottom of the page, and then in the box it says cables with various lengths, and you click on that.

:happydance:

cheley 04-12-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imrachel (Post 1222206)
Yup-- go here: http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Int...PNDETipWD.html

and you get the 13" tips at the bottom of the page, and then in the box it says cables with various lengths, and you click on that.

:happydance:

Umm, am I reading this wrong???:aww: I am looking for "fixed" circs not interchangeable?? I do not own interchangeable set(s),Let me know thank you

Lucy78green 04-12-2009 09:22 AM

think from their website the longer length fixed circs only go up to size 3

ArtLady1981 04-12-2009 09:33 AM

SIZE 13 HARMONY TIPS ($8.99)

SIZE 13 NICKEL-PLATED TIPS ($7.99)

24" CABLES ($3.99 for a set of 2)

So, this is how you can get the size 13 circular needles from KnitPicks.

Total cost for US13 Harmony tips plus cables: $12.98
Total cost for US13 Nickel-plated tips plus cables: $11.98

Still undercuts ADDI fixed circs by about $10!

They are working on getting larger sizes of fixed circs I think, but the interchangeables are the WAVE of the future, and so I don't think they are working real hard and fast at extending the line of fixed circs in the 24" length and up.

The itty bitty 16" fixed circs go up to a 7mm, with 8mm due the end of April.

cheley 04-12-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1222218)
SIZE 13 HARMONY TIPS ($8.99)

SIZE 13 NICKEL-PLATED TIPS ($7.99)

24" CABLES ($3.99 for a set of 2)

So, this is how you can get the size 13 circular needles from KnitPicks.

Total cost for US13 Harmony tips plus cables: $12.98
Total cost for US13 Nickel-plated tips plus cables: $11.98

Still undercuts ADDI fixed circs by about $10!

They are working on getting larger sizes of fixed circs I think, but the interchangeables are the WAVE of the future, and so I don't think they are working real hard and fast at extending the line of fixed circs in the 24" length and up.

The itty bitty 16" fixed circs go up to a 7mm, with 8mm due the end of April.

Call me "old fashioned" but I don't think I would be comfortable screwing and un-screwing cables onto a needle:aww: I have a few addi's I love the sleekness and the cable but it's not as "pointy" as I like..I have a small Harmony and I love it...the pointy tip, the nice cable etc etc...What a shame Why can't they make em bigger...sometimes I just like the feel of "wood":drool: he he!!!

suzeeq 04-12-2009 11:30 AM

Interchangeables are more versatile and the joins are smooth, so there's no problem with the yarn catching.

Jan in CA 04-12-2009 11:46 AM

If you want them from Knitpicks then you have to get the screw on, interchangeable ones. Maybe it's time to move on to modern needles. :lol: If you just can't bear the thought of them you'll have to find another brand.

cheley 04-12-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1222256)
If you want them from Knitpicks then you have to get the screw on, interchangeable ones. Maybe it's time to move on to modern needles. :lol: If you just can't bear the thought of them you'll have to find another brand.

I do have "OTHER" Brands...I like Harmony Wood

ArtLady1981 04-12-2009 02:53 PM

OK, here's a bonus for using interchangeables:

When you're on the last row of something, and it's time to cast off: Keeping your live stitches on the left hand gauge needle, change the right hand needle to one size larger, or maybe even two sizes larger.

This makes a better bind off. No chance of being too tight or uneven. It's really a slick technique. Especially for those patterns that say bind off loosely. If I was knitting with a US8, I've been know to go up to a US10.5 for the bind off loosely. But all I had to do was change the needle tip on the right hand side.

Another bonus: if you are not supposed to bind off, but put the live stitches on a holder, or waste yarn...you don't have to do anything...just unscrew the needle tips, and screw on the 'end caps'. You can even wash (for blocking) the pieces with the cord in the live stitches.

I have lots of extra cables for this very reason. I leave cords in the live work til I get back to them. :wink:

KnitPicks have no 'catchiness' at the join. And really, trust me, the attaching of the needle tips is as easy as screwing the lid back onto the honey jar.