KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   BEEN THERE, DONE THAT??? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90710)

ArtLady1981 04-13-2009 06:33 PM

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT???

A couple years ago some of the members were discussing the selling of their knits, etc...and people who ask you to knit something for them...and they'll 'pay you'. :doh:

So here is an example of how this 'conversation' usually rolls:

"Oh that is such a beautiful sweater! Where did you find it?"
"Thanks! I knit it myself!"
"Oh no, you didn't! Would you knit this sweater for me, too??
I'd be happy to pay you!"

Sound familiar? Don't you feel complimented? I would!
So the conversation continues:

"Well, I guess I could. I don't have a lot of time to knit, but I guess I could make time."
"How much do you charge?"
"Well, I don't know...how much do you want to pay?"
"Oh no, you tell me how much you charge. I mean, I'd even pay you $50 for it!"

Don't ya just hate this phase of the 'wheeling and dealing'?
You and I both know that it took us weeks and weeks of faithful knitting time, the cost of the pattern or book, and the yarn cost $80 by itself!

So you gulp, and say
"Well ma'am, the yarn for this sweater is $80 alone."
"EIGHTY DOLLARS??!!" she gasps. "Well, thanks for your offer to knit it for me, but I could get this at Walmart for $20."

Now don't ya just want to strangle her, or hang yourself? :teehee:

I have a better solution for this conversation!

So let's start the conversation over, much shorter this time:

"Oh that is such a beautiful sweater! Where did you find it?"
"Thanks! I knit it myself!"
"Oh no, you didn't! Would you knit this sweater for me, too?
I'd be happy to pay you!"
"Why thanks! Here is my card with a rundown of my prices!
Give me a call in a few days and we'll discuss your sweater!"

What card? you ask. :??

The 3x5 card (in your purse) with your name and tel number on the front, and with your prices on the reverse side.

EXAMPLE of the reverse side:

Woman's Sizes 34-48 at the prices below:
Woman's Cardigan: $200 plus cost of yarn & buttons.
Woman's Pullover: $185 plus cost of yarn.
Woman's 3/4 Coat: $300 plus cost of yarn & buttons.
Woman's Tank Top or Shell: $100 plus cost of yarn.
Woman's Scarf: $85 plus cost of yarn.
Woman's Hat: $75 plus cost of yarn.

Some specialty knitted items: $50 per hour plus cost of all materials.
All hand knits must be pre-paid, with yarn in hand before measurements are taken and knitting begins. Specialty items at the hourly rate will require a non-refundable deposit of $500 for labor, with add'l draws when that's exhausted. Written estimates will be supplied prior to deposits.

No more dickering. No more hurt feelings. You can now say "YES! I'll knit it for you!"...and feel good about it, whether you get the job, or whether you never hear from her again! It's a win-win! :teehee:

PS: the prices for labor that I gave (as an example) are a bargain considering the hours you will knit! raise those prices if you want! you can never go up in price, but you can lower prices! if you get a string of customers who pass you around to knit for them, it would be hard to start raising prices, cuz they compare notes!

Debbie 04-13-2009 06:45 PM

I LOVE IT !!

mwhite 04-13-2009 06:51 PM

ME TWO!!!

Plantgoddess+ 04-13-2009 07:27 PM

What a great idea. I've been there with a woman wearing a mink coat asking for a handknit sweater and not wanting to pay over $50. Go buy it at Walmart then. We both ended up annoyed, this would save aggravation at least on the knitters side.

mwhite 04-13-2009 07:57 PM

Kinda like the fella that walked into the shop last week and complained about the price of spark plugs for his $40,000 pontoon! Oh yeah and he lives, with his wife in a 5,000 sq.ft. house that'll cost ya over $500,000!

lelvsdgs 04-13-2009 11:02 PM

This is brilliant! For me it would be great because people would say, well, I'll have to think about it and I'd never hear from them again!

TEMA 04-13-2009 11:20 PM

:roflhard:
I can't say I've ever had this problem but I will keep your advise in mind just in case.... :teehee:
TEMA:thumbsup:

Mike 04-14-2009 12:28 AM

My sister just laughs and tells people they couldn't afford to pay for the time. But if they'd like to buy the yarn she'll gladly allow someone to enable her addiction and get to making their item eventually.

I've found I don't like doing things for others, too much pressure. So I can simply say, "No, but I'll teach you how."
I can only make something I have no use for and figure out who gets it afterwards.

ArtLady1981 04-14-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 1222728)
pressure. So I can simply say, "No, but I'll teach you how."

Yes, Mike, I've said that many a time, too!

You know what the responses are:
a) "Oh, I haven't got the time to knit"
b) "Oh, I haven't got the patience to knit."

The real answer is: "Oh, I don't have the desire to knit, just the desire to own fine knits at a Walmart price!" :roflhard:

ritaw 04-14-2009 03:15 AM

What a great idea ! Hubby will find it very amusing that i have a business card lol :)