KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   And you were scared of cables?! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90766)

AngieLanigan 04-16-2009 08:44 AM

And you were scared of cables?!

Ok, maybe you weren't, but I was! They look so complicated! Well, if you're like me, and felt intimidated by cables, I'm here to tell you... don't be! I'm doing my first cable pattern, the Palindrome Scarf, and I'm blown away by how easy cables are! Who knew?!

margz3 04-16-2009 09:16 AM

Amazing how easy they are, huh Angie! The first "breakaway" aka scary project I tried was a cabled baby sweater - two firsts....a sweater and cables. That project gave me so much confidence! And I love doing cables now! Sometime I'll branch into doing them without a cable needle, but I tend to drop stitches enough as it is, so for now I'm sticking with 'em!

Jan in CA 04-16-2009 11:32 AM

I was a little bit because they "look" so complicated. After I did one I kind of thought....that's all it takes to make these? LOL I like that people are soooo impressed with them and they are so easy!

AngieLanigan 04-16-2009 11:57 AM

I know! I know how easy they are, yet I can't help but be impressed with myself whenever I look at them :roflhard:

Anarfea 04-16-2009 03:01 PM

I'm still scared of cables! :aww:

I've done lace and entrelanc and fair isle, but I tried knitting a cabled scarf only once and gave up after about 20 rows. I kept twisting the wrong way...

Ah well, maybe someday. Yours look lovely, though.

pinktoque 04-16-2009 06:27 PM

This gives me confidence to try cables... thanks!

wezyus 04-17-2009 07:03 AM

Mee 2 dont like cables but when seeing others' works i want to do it...actually i am doing cables for my son's jacket..n found it ok

Lisa R. 04-17-2009 08:36 AM

I love cables! I, too, was afraid in the beginning, but I did a little project (a cell phone case) that was quick and oh, so easy.

I love the fact that it LOOKS so impressive for very little effort. :)

knittingymnast 04-20-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margz3 (Post 1223315)
Amazing how easy they are, huh Angie! The first "breakaway" aka scary project I tried was a cabled baby sweater - two firsts....a sweater and cables. That project gave me so much confidence! And I love doing cables now! Sometime I'll branch into doing them without a cable needle, but I tend to drop stitches enough as it is, so for now I'm sticking with 'em!

Ha. I agree. Once I was scared of them too....

ArtLady1981 04-21-2009 03:52 PM

Yup, cables are just stitches that trade places on the needles!
Very easy, especially with the use of charts!

Color coding the charts helps IMMENSELY!

Each individual 'symbol' is colored the same.
No mistakes about what gets crossed, and when!

Color code the KEY first, then translate that color coding to your chart.
It helps to make an enlarged copy of the chart in the first place.

On my partial chart (seen above) you will notice that I also wrote in little numbers that tell me if the cable involves 3, 4, 5, or 6 stitches! This also prevents errors.

Cuz doubling back to fit mis-crossed cables is a PITA.

Here is an (partial) example of a KEY that has been color-coded: