KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need help understanding instructions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90796)

lgoddard 04-17-2009 08:14 AM

Need help understanding instructions

I am sure all you wonderful experienced knitters can help me. I have a few questions on a bonnet pattern in May 2009 Creative Knitting.
I have done the CO of 16 sts and worked it st st for 3-1/2 inches.
The next set of instructions I don't understand.

Using cable CO, CO 12 sts at beg of next 2 rows - 39 sts. (How do you get 39 stitches when you have 16 already and then add 12 and then 12 on the next 2 rows?

Work 2 rows in St. st.

When you do the cable CO, do you CO 12 sts, turn and then CO 12 more? After that, do you turn and work the next 2 rows in the St st?
I am sure this is something I am making harder than it really is?

imrachel 04-17-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgoddard (Post 1223552)
I am sure all you wonderful experienced knitters can help me. I have a few questions on a bonnet pattern in May 2009 Creative Knitting.
I have done the CO of 16 sts and worked it st st for 3-1/2 inches.
The next set of instructions I don't understand.

Using cable CO, CO 12 sts at beg of next 2 rows - 39 sts. (How do you get 39 stitches when you have 16 already and then add 12 and then 12 on the next 2 rows?

You don't.:) . They messed up.

Work 2 rows in St. st.

When you do the cable CO, do you CO 12 sts, turn and then CO 12 more? After that, do you turn and work the next 2 rows in the St st?
I am sure this is something I am making harder than it really is?

Row 1: Cast on 12, knit the original 16 sts.
Row 2: Cast on 12, and then knit the 28 sts from the previous row.
Rows 3 and 4: stockinette st.

lgoddard 04-17-2009 10:08 AM

Thanks, good to know I do still know how to add! Ha. I still am not wrapping my brain around the cable cast on. This is the first time I have had to do a CO in the middle of a pattern. So, do I do the cable CO on the empty left needle, turn and knit the original 16? Do I use a separate ball of yarn or do it with the working yarn attached to the 16? Sorry if I sound so dense with this.

imrachel 04-17-2009 10:23 AM

Given that the pattern thinks 12 + 12 + 16 = 39, I wouldn't be so quick to think you're the one who's dense:) .

Here's what to do--
Hold the sweater in front of you as if you're going to start knitting a row. The left needle will have your sts on it, with the yarn dangling at the pointy end of the needle. Your right needle will be empty, ready for you to knit. Do the cable cast on, for 12 sts. You are going to end up with 28 sts on your left needle, with the yarn again, dangling at the end of the sts, at the pointy end. They don't say this in the pattern, but what I'd do is then just knit across those 28 sts so you'll finish at the end of a right side row.
Then-- turn for the purl row. Do the same thing-- cast on 12 new sts and you'll end up with the yarn dangling at the end of the sts, at the pointy end of the needle. Then purl all of those 40 sts.

There is a video on this site for Cable Cast On, but it doesn't have any sound-- but you might be able to figure it out, or check out youtube for other videos of how to do it.

lgoddard 04-17-2009 10:48 AM

You are awesome with your explanation! Because they never explained to continue to knit that row after casting on, I was unsure what to do. I know how to do the cable CO, I just couldn't figure out what to do next after I did the CO. Thank you for your patience and great explanation.

suzeeq 04-17-2009 11:27 AM

Whenever you CO sts at the beg of a row, you need to work back over them to the original sts. If you CO sts in the middle of the row/round, you work them on the next row/round

Sknitter56 04-19-2009 02:33 PM

lgoddard, I just finished that same pattern and had the same question as you, but I just assumed it was a mistake and knitted on. I haven't done the sweater yet, just the bonnet and booties, and I haven't attached the ribbons yet either. There are going to a girl I work with who's having a little boy in June. I'm wondering if the bonnet is more suitable for a girl and maybe I should just make a plain blue hat for the boy? What do y'all think?