KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Poll: Chart vs. Written Pattern? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90920)

Arielluria 04-21-2009 03:23 PM

Poll: Chart vs. Written Pattern?

I'm curious to find out what everyone prefers. Say a pattern has both a chart AND written pattern, which would you use? Personally I find charts rather confusing and harder to follow than written. What about you?

GinnyG 04-21-2009 03:26 PM

I will pick a chart over written instruction EVERY time!

saracidaltendencies 04-21-2009 03:27 PM

Definitely charts...I'm more of a visual learner so if I can see what I'm supposed to be doing it makes more sense than trying to follow written instruction...hence my finding KH so I could see how I was supposed to be knitting...lol

ArtLady1981 04-21-2009 03:46 PM

CHARTS all the way!!!!!

Written directions are tedious, time consuming and tiresome!
Especially when a chart could have been developed in its place!

AngieLanigan 04-21-2009 04:20 PM

I've tried and tried and just can't wrap my brain around reading a chart. I used to cross stitch so I figured charts would be a piece of cake... but not so. So I much prefer a pattern written out.

DQ 04-21-2009 04:29 PM

I prefer written at the moment. I've only used charts for the mosaic type of colourwork.

knittingymnast 04-21-2009 06:31 PM

I prefer charts. There are frequently issues with written patterns, and sometimes begins to look overwhelming. Go green! Save paper! :rofl: Charts usually take up one page, maybe two. Written instructions can take up to as many as 8 or 9 pages. (I actually saw that once. It's not that common, though, for a pattern to take up 8 or 9 pages. :rofl:) Written instructions are SOMETIMES easier, and I do like them, but charts are definitely my preference. Plus they look cool. :D

Jan in CA 04-21-2009 06:42 PM

I haven't done much that involves charts so right now I prefer written as they seem confusing to me, too. I can see the value for complicated patterns so maybe someday..

Shandeh 04-21-2009 09:06 PM

I cannot use charts, because of my vision. When I was younger, I did a lot of cross stitch using charts, but can't do them anymore because I can't see them well. That's why I switched to knitting. I had never knit a stitch until I couldn't read my cross stitch charts anymore.

I was so glad to find a craft that didn't require charts. cloud9

Now, I get SO frustrated whenever a knitting pattern only has charted directions. I just pass it by, and move on to written patterns.

Occasionally, I have had to do a bit of knitted chartwork, but it was so taxing on my eyes. I had to use a magnifying glass, reading glasses and very bright light. Not a fun thing to do at all. :help:

ArtLady1981 04-21-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shandeh (Post 1224749)
because of my vision....I can't see them well.....so taxing on my eyes....had to use a magnifying glass

Sandy, I always ENLARGE my charts using my printer.
If the entire enlarged chart won't fit onto a normal sheet of paper, I print it on two or three pieces of paper. One third on sheet #1, one third on sheet #2, and the final third on sheet #3.

Had to to that for SYLVI. Four pages.