KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   UPDATE: First Prayer Shawl Completed! View Pic in Post #9 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91675)

MoniDew 05-25-2009 01:54 PM

UPDATE: First Prayer Shawl Completed! View Pic in Post #9

Inspired by a recent sermon by my pastor, in which he said, (in essence,) “What would you do if you knew God was with you?” I began a prayer shawl ministry within my little business. The following is an excerpt from the home page at my website explaining this new ministry:

Unencumbered by fear, unburdened of doubt, unrestrained by disbelief, what would I do? This is my answer to that piercing question. My Cup of Tea presents the Prayer Shawl Ministry. It is a comfort and care package designed to support your “person” in time of need, at no cost to you. Whatever they may be going through at this time, whether they are experiencing grief, sickness, or extreme stress, we all understand the need to be wrapped in the comfort of God during those times. A handmade shawl symbolizes this comfort, along with a soothing tea and a small prayer book, will complete this package. It is offered at no cost, and I will be praying for your “person” as I handcraft the shawl/lapgan and assemble your package.

I do not engage in this ministry lightly. It will take great trust on my part that God will bring me the financial resources I need in order to purchase the yarn, the prayer book, and pay for the postage to ship the package. It will be as much a faith journey on my end as it is on yours. But it is what I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would do - knowing God is with me. If, by chance, I am limited in my financial resources, and you are unable to wait because this is an urgent/crisis situation, I will get as much out to you as I possibly can in that moment.

May God be with you and your loved one in their time of need. God bless you!

I hope you don't mind me using this thread as a way of keeping tally of how many lapgans and shawls I give away. I can't wait to see the results. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity!

auburnchick 05-25-2009 11:40 PM

How wonderful! My church just started a prayer shawl ministry as well. I finished my first one not too long ago and am working on another.

It's a wonderful way to let people know that they are thought of in their time of need.

:hug:

Secksiebrat 05-25-2009 11:49 PM

My church also started a prayer shawl ministry about a year ago. Most of the ladies crochet. I learned to crochet from these ladies. I am the youngest of the group (27) and most are old enough to be my grandmother. I love the time i get to spend with them (once a month for 2 hours) and I think they really enjoy seeing a young person knit/crochet! We've given away 100+ shawls this last year. I've made 3 so far (i'm slow at crochet).

~danielle~

auntcrafty 05-26-2009 12:21 AM

I think it's wonderful!

Recently started a new ministry at my church, too. Inspired by the Oddball Blankets, the desire of some of the women to learn how to crochet leis, and upcoming missions' trips -- Compassionate Crafters was started. Amazed at how the Lord has used all of the ladies in the past two months! We have so many hats & scarves, several blankets, 13 baby quilts, and many 6" knit & crocheted squares to be made into blankets.

What a huge blessing to be used by the Lord in these ministries!

MoniDew 06-02-2009 11:33 AM

Thank you all for inspiring me and motivating me in this new venture. Please keep my small business in your prayers. My income has gone down substantially, and yet I feel this new call on my heart requiring me to have more money! It's definitely going to require faith on my part! LOL! (what doesn't? or more precisely, what, that is good and worth doing, doesn't?)

MoniDew 06-23-2009 12:43 PM

received first request for prayer shawl yesterday, yarn ordered, praying for the person...

auntcrafty 06-24-2009 12:40 AM

Awesome!

:pray:

blueygh2 06-26-2009 08:34 PM

What a wonderful thing to do.
Best of luck to you.

MoniDew 07-06-2009 12:56 AM

First prayer shawl! Completed 07/05/2009. Prayers were said for Mary.
Done in a beautiful celedon blue, bamboo and superwash wool, in feather and fan stitch. (worked in 2 halves, kitchener stitched together in center, so that both ends would be scalloped.)

gmmarton 07-06-2009 06:51 AM

What a beautiful shawl. I'm sure the recipient will feel your love and good vibrations.

Blessings to you...
:yay: :yay: :yay: