KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Lace yarn - no lace patterns (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91714)

amberof2 05-26-2009 09:29 PM

Lace yarn - no lace patterns

What can I do with my lace weight yarn that doesn't involve lace or socks??? Should I try blending it with another yarn and do some scarves. I don't have the time or patience to do either lace work or socks with 3 precious little ones running around. :-)
Amber

Ingrid 05-26-2009 10:57 PM

Sure, you could team it up with a nice complementary yarn. Play with it and see what colors look best together.

blueygh2 05-27-2009 06:51 AM

You could knit it on bigger needles, so you have an airier fabric.

Woodi 05-27-2009 08:27 AM

I would make scarves with it, or a simple, rectangular shawl, maybe using bigger needles as suggested above. If it is too flimsy, pairing it with another yarn would be just great.

I am currently addicted to knitting the Yarn Harlot's scarf. I also did a scarf knitted longways, using a long circular needle. There are 4 dift yarns in this one. Not lacey, but will give you an idea. I like short scarves, but this could be made longer.

Let us know what you decide to do!

cftwo 05-27-2009 08:31 AM

There are some simple lace scarves out there that you could try - I think the Airy Scarf in Last Minute Knitted Gifts is nice.

suzeeq 05-27-2009 09:26 AM

You could even double it for a fingering weight and make baby sweaters.

amberof2 05-27-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodi (Post 1232506)
I would make scarves with it, or a simple, rectangular shawl, maybe using bigger needles as suggested above. If it is too flimsy, pairing it with another yarn would be just great.

I am currently addicted to knitting the Yarn Harlot's scarf. I also did a scarf knitted longways, using a long circular needle. There are 4 dift yarns in this one. Not lacey, but will give you an idea. I like short scarves, but this could be made longer.

Let us know what you decide to do!

do you have a pattern for this?? It's beautiful!!

candicane 05-27-2009 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am using this laceweight on size 9 needles (single stranded) to make a large rectangular stole. It is knit in linen stitch which produces a firm fabric. Knit it on 9s and it is a soft flexible and pretty fabric. Linen stitch is a very easy stitch to do.

amberof2 05-27-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1232555)
You could even double it for a fingering weight and make baby sweaters.

That's not a bad idea at all :-)

Woodi 05-27-2009 04:09 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Amberof2. It's just plain knitting, switching the yarns whenever I felt like it.

So: cast on to the length you want it to be, knit every row, switching yarns as you like. When I got to the middle, I made the other side symmetrical. That's it!